Countdown #2: Worst Pox Design Choices of All Time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsbuff, Jul 26, 2016.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Formerly known as "Countdown: Jokey Cutesy Sh*t that Spoils Pox Immersion"

"Immersion" is a funny concept for an old tactics game, yet most of us admire the art and lore of Pox. There's some wonderful wit and clever turns of phrase in Pox, then there's these cringers:

#1. Corgis

#2: Pox Renovator

[​IMG]

Pox Renovator was the culmination of five terrible ideas:

1. Self-indulgent, self-referential company mascot shoehorned into the game despite having nothing to do with the story, races, theme, or anything else in game

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pox Renovator: Another entry into the history books of dumb corporate mascots injected into games. Not to say the cool spot beach game was bad...I kinda liked the game. Yo!Noid still terrifies me.

2. Improbable, absurd, stupid art, even by fantasy standards. "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut. " It's parody art, like MTG's "unglued" set, yet this rune was everywhere and is still found in decks.
    Untitled.png

3. "Renovator" memorializes the disastrous "revamp" which wrecked most themes and many beloved runes. We're still picking up the pieces to this day.

4. Can be (and was at the time) stupidly powerful, especially based on the art/sprite. Weird "meta" mechanic that punishes quantity of abilities - which is
    not thematic with either owls or guns.

5. Seriously, this art is beyond stupid. Even if the bird could carry the musket by magic, how the fǘck does it reload? Also owls have incredibly sensitive ear holes - placed asymmetrically, they rotate their satellite heads until the sound of prey enters both asymmetrically-place ear holes simultaneously, which means that they are now facing their prey. Their feathers and faces are all evolved to funnel sound into their ear holes like a satellite dish. A gun blast next to their face would deafen them and render them unable to hunt.
    [​IMG]
    Asymmetrical owl ear placement

[​IMG]
    Satellite head

That's how owls do.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'm with you on the Corgis, they're dumb as hell, but I've actually kinda grown to dig the Renos

JellyBerry and Pattn199 like this.
  3. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I know how you feel man, I just want to play a cool game where my badass turtlemen can beat up the badass ferretmen and newtmen and mousemen. But owls? Hells no.

The line must be drawn here! This far! No further!

4. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

I'm not a huge fan of the corgis... I like the Renovators. They were supposed to just be something fun for the people that stuck around.

super71 likes this.
  5. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

#1 corgis for sure, agreed.
    Renovators are kinda cool, since DOG and all.
    However, Corgis simply dont fit in Pox universe.

6. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I dont see any problem with the renovators

super71 likes this.
  7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I like the Renovators as well. I feel the Corgis should have been foxes, wolves, badgers, wolverines, or something else that is more woodland related.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

All you people bashing on corgis are out of your goddamn minds.

JellyBerry and davre like this.
  9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I have nothing against Corgis. Ein in Cowboy Bebop is my favorite fictional dog. My in-laws have one and it is one of the best dogs I've seen. Anything smaller than a Corgi is more a rat than a dog. I just feel that Corgis don't fit with the forest theme that Pox Fairies are in. If they had been garden fairies instead, the Corgis would fit.

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

My buddy's parents have 2 corgis and they're annoying little shits compared to their other dogs. I ain't out of my goddamn anything.

JellyBerry and newsbuff like this.
  11. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

KF is about the natural (albeit magical) world and protecting its forests. Corgis were bred to be herding dogs and first appeared in the 1900's. The two don't really go together. They're cutesy in a bad way.

newsbuff likes this.
  12. Kampel

If it weighs less than 35 kg or can't tackle you to the ground and break a few ribs then its not a dog, its a rat.

Big dogs ftw

newsbuff likes this.
  13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I've got a German Shorthaired Pointer, and it's not 35 kg. I definitely consider him a real dog.

14. Kampel

To me its in the size of the paws and head, i love big paws. I had a huge Golden Retriever (she was 45kg) and my uncle another dog, i dont know which brand that was 85Kg of pure muscle :p

15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

We have the Strig, who are kick ass owl-folk. It's not about putting owls into the game. It's about everything else I mentioned :)

16. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Correct. Corgis are a housepet. They aren't 53 HP, 3 DEF "thunderous charging" beasts. And designing them as such continues to be my #1 worst design on the list.

The fact that DOG chose to showcase corgis in all the new PS4/Vita launch media was a disappointment.

17. Kampel

Yet in one of DoGs events where Gedden was handling printed runes the Corgi rider was the people's fav

18. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Filthy casuals. The only possible explanation.

Kampel and newsbuff like this.
  19. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Yep, and Buzzfeed is the web's top website.

Pox is a hardcore game, why pander to the candy crush demo with this cutesy bullshit

[edit] and sun blossom is one of my all time fav. arts - it's not about not liking cute sh|t, it's about how incongruous and poorly-designed the corgis are. good for a cheap laugh from casuals, sure. appropriate for the game and good for the overall immersive health of the world? Not at all.

20. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Ahh, so it's not that it's an animal with a weapon, it's that the animal that's holding a weapon is not anthropomorphic enough for it to really work for you.

Let's get some hooters on these hooters, stat.

newsbuff likes this.