Different setups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mercer Skye, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Now that there are a slew of champions that actually have mostly interesting choices in their upgrade selections (At least in my opinion), I'm curious now on the likelihood that we might see rune setups that are bg specific.

As in, I put an Enforcer of the Circle in one bg with max ranks on Balance and Resist: Magic, and in another, I want the enforcer to be 2 ranks Balance and only one rank Resist, as it stands now, I'd have to memorize what setups I'm using in different bgs, and micro-manage.

As a QoL booster, it would be nice if bgs could 'remember' what upgrade setup you used when creating them.

Boozha and Ragic like this.
  2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I am not sure I understand your comment/last line.

From how I believe the game works, the upgrades are hard coded onto the rune. From how it was in the past, when you could choose individual stat and ability upgrades, each rune could be built differently so you could have multiple copies of a rune, each with a different build, you could use tokens to reset them, but since there were many more unique build paths, it was built in that each rune would carry its own upgrades and when you traded the rune, you can see the upgrades and stats taken, etc.

So, from how I am reading things, it looks like you would need to get another Enforcer of the Circle and have one in one BG with the upgrades there and the other in the other BG with the upgrades there.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

when you select upgrade choices for a champ, it is remembered in the rune manager. The game also remembers what bg a champ is in. Since this information is already recorded in some way, it doesn't seem to me to be very hard for the game to remember more than one bg/upgrade choices set of info for each champ. instead of storing the upgrade selection in the rune manager, you would instead store the upgrade choices with the bg info. well actually I suppose you would store the info in both the rune manager AND individual bgs. But when you load a bg, those upgrade choices would 'overide' whatever upgrade choices were made while just in the rune manager.

4. KTCAOP

How I understand the processing of the information is the following

You choose an upgrade for a rune
    The upgrades are remembered for that rune
    You put that rune into a battle group.

The battle group is just a collection of the runes you put inside of it, which is why you can have one rune in multiple battle groups. But if you change the rune in one battle group and that rune is in another battle group, since the information is stored on a per rune basis - which in the past would be reflected when you went to trade or upgrade the rune with the original CP/Rune Force - not a per BG basis.

What you are asking for I feel is a much larger change since it is changing at the core where the information is stored. Instead of having the runes holding the information of the upgrades, you are asking for the battle group to hold all of the information of all of the potential upgrades and then be able to assign them upgrades accordingly instead of on the runes if I am understanding it properly.

5. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Yes, but as Ragic said, you don't need to stop having the upgrades stored on the rune. Just store them in the BG as well as an overrride.

Imagine selecting a BG in game, and the first thing the server does is check you BG's rune upgrades and apply them to the BG's runes before starting a game.

Sure, the runes upgrades would be altered the next time I go into the rune manager, but if I have just played a BG with those alterations then they are also likely to be the upgrades I want to see. It would actually be more intuitive.

You can also, of course, make it so when you load a BG for editing in the rune manager, it updates the runes upgrades again to that BG.

I think you should now have to own two Enforcers of the Circle if you want to run one with Resist Magic 3 and one with Resist Magic 2. You should need two in order to run two in a BG.

6. ykmmmm

ykmmmm Member

7. ykmmmm

ykmmmm Member

i see you want my same thing go vote the pool maibe some day they will give it to us XD

8. KTCAOP

Sorry, I must be missing something, but I'm missing a step in the logic here.

Again, if I am understanding correctly, you are asking that once a rune is in the battle group - it gains its own identity.

Basically, if you make a change to a rune then, it only applies to the rune in that battle group.

So what happens if I edit a rune in a battle group and decide to use tokens on it, does the tokens then only apply to *that* rune in *that* battle group and then if I want to use it somewhere else I would have to use a different token?

Same question to using the rune in game, if it gains experience, does it only gain experience in *that* battle group?

Sure, we could have a conversation about how important CP is and if it should or should not be removed, but again, I'm not seeing the logic for how it would be resolved. You are making a change to a rune, but you don't want to really make a change to the rune, you want to make a temporary permanent change to the rune where the rune is only changed in this, this, this, this and/or this circumstance, but that wouldn't be reflected if you were to view the rune individually or if you were to trade it (which again, doesn't really matter as much now, but given that the game engine as far as I am aware hasn't changed from when it was released, think about how the original rune forge/CP worked and try to apply the same logic).

I could be wrong, maybe the game has some way of storing multiple instances of the same rune and would be able to hold that information, but how it used to be done was that if you wanted different builds of a rune, you needed to have multiple copies of the rune so you could have the multiple instances as you said. With how it currently is, it is easier to make the transition, but again, and perhaps it's just a larger change in my own head than in reality, I feel this would be a rather huge change a core aspect of how the information is stored in the game.

I'm not saying this is a terrible idea. I do believe that the best way to go about it to benefit DOG would be just to have you purchase an additional copy of the rune (which is originally why we had the original shoebox, so you could parse out the copies of the runes that you didn't really ever need/cp/use), and obviously there is a good amount of support. I just don't see the how it would be possible. I'm not a developer, I don't know the code, and I'm not literate in coding, so I could be wrong, just giving my understanding of how the game works with my experience is all.

9. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Ok. Lets just imagine the first slot of a battlegroup.

Slot 1 of 30
    Contains Rune: Afflicted Corpse (ID: 12345)
    Slot Upgrades: X/Y

So, in a battlegroup. It links to a specific rune (as in, that one copy of that rune that you own) and it has two upgrade selections stored that are in no way linked to the actual rune.

Now, you load this battlegroup for a game, or load it in the rune manager. It would loop through all the slots in the battlegroup and apply the upgrades to the specific rune.

i.e.

Slot 1 of 30
    1. Get the contained rune, the Afflicted Corpse (ID: 12345)
    2. Give the specific Afflicted Corpse upgrades X & Y.

The next time you go to the rune manager (or if you're already in it and have just loaded the battlegroup), it will have those upgrades on that specific rune.
    Or when you load in to the game, it will have those specific upgrades in that battlegroup.

It is still one rune.
    It still stores its own upgrades and levels independantly from a battlegroup.

The battlegroup just tries to apply upgrades to it when loaded/played.

Also, one issue might be that you are thinking of stored upgrades in a BG as things like "Disease Aura 3" or "Defensive Stance 2" etc.

It is more likely that a battlegroup would just store "Upgrade 1" and "Upgrade 3". When loading it would just say to the rune "set your first upgrade to the #1 ability in your upgrades list, set you second upgrade to the #3 ability in your upgrades list" and the rune would try to apply those. The battlegroup never needs to know specifics, just that it should try to set Rune Slot 1's upgrades to #1 and #3.

ykmmmm likes this.
  10. ykmmmm

ykmmmm Member

Preaty mutch what fikule sayed my bad english didn't let me explain better all i was want to say in short when you make a battlegroup it store the ability of the champion you put in it and if you go make another deck you can put the same chapmpions with diferent set up of abilitis without interact with the previous deck so you can easy pick between them without every time go maualy modify the ability to play a different strategies with the same rune (don't get me wrong yea we can have more rune for different set up but that last for common unkomon if you reach rare or more like limited i think it will be harder have multiple copy only to make decks)
    Not asking the rune itself be like a hero and coded by itself we can +- consider the limited version of the one we have for this matter if we care just want if i put my cyclop chieftain in a beast deck rember his ability in that deck and if i put him in a cyclop deck remember the other set of abilitis i put there

11. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Pretty much how Fikule articulated it. We already know that runes remember how you change them in the rune manager, but battlegroups just know what runes you have in the manager. We're asking for one more step beyond that, that when you put the rune into a battlegroup, the bg remembers the setup you used for the rune. CP wouldn't even have to be a factor, as regardless of its level, there would still be upgrade choices set for the rune.

It wouldn't have to worry about CP gains or changes in other bgs. It's not trying to make a copy of the rune, just a set of instructions on how to modify the rune for that particular bg.

It might be a much larger undertaking than I or others realize, I know it's been mentioned in the past that it wouldn't be a quick path, but what I do know, is that for me personally, there are some runes I just let sit in one configuration, because it's cumbersome switching them to an alternate to use in a different bg.

Like Fleshweaver Witch. I have the two I own in a zombie bg, both are set up with Deathcharged 2 and Charged Heal. But maybe I want to put her into a witch bg, but using Swap and Elsari Coven. I now have to go to the rune, swap the two abilities out on their upgrade paths, and put her in the witch bg.

An hour or two later, or a day, or a week, I feel like playing the zombie bg again. Crap, I forgot to switch back to DC2 and CH, not the end of the world, but now I don't have any heals to keep my swarmers alive.

I'd hate to think that the only options that would ever be available is to acquire either four copies, or continue micromanaging, or just give up on using champs that can be viably built in multiple directions, and keep them in the most 'swiss army' config they have.

ykmmmm likes this.