Elder Garu -_-

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by IMAGIRL, Aug 16, 2014.

1. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

So first let me start off by.... @Gedden @Senshu @Liquin_3rd @Cortices @PoxZuo ....

Elder Garu: I have requested MANY times over the years hat he gain Stun on base because he carries an Oaken Mace around. At the very least if you are not going to give him stun; give him - even as a default upgrade option - Equip: Oaken Mace.

Equip: Oaken Mace ... When this champion is deployed from the runedock it is automatically equipped with Oaken Mace. (This champion gains a close-combat Physical attack at +2 DMG and +1 AP. When this attack deals 1 or more damage to a champion, that champion becomes Stunned 2.) This can not be prevented. The equipment made by this ability has a nora cost of 0.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Disclaimer. I have not played KF in so long. This is not a buff request. This is a logic request. I don't care about the 'ripples in the pond' we will deal with those when they happen later.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Hekau718, Leadrz, claydude5 and 14 others like this.
  2. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

support. Elder garu should show up to battle equipped like mind-flyer queen, or Elite Skirmisher.

elf7 and TheBulwark like this.
  3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

On a secondary note:

Sarinda gains Cast: Foul Rite.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Leadrz, Faust, TheBulwark and 6 others like this.
  4. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

I am all for FW/human buffs as well. Support.

Faust, TheBulwark and TeaScholar like this.
  5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Please support by liking! Why no to Sarinda?

Leadrz likes this.
  6. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

Would rather we discuss DeathStrike's cost. Somehow Ride down is 7 nora when Deathstrike is 17.

So many costs just make no sense.

Honestly her whole set is skewed. If it were up to me:

Magical Attack
    Magic Acolyte
    Dark Healing
    Elsari Coven

Upgrades:
    Pawn
    Relocate Foe
    Damage Shield: Magical 3

Magic Blast
    Deathstrike
    Dark Raven Form

Lastly, she should be LE....it's really been bugging me that that's never been fixed. (Korona, Magnus, and Sarinda were incorrectly Legendary. The first two were eventually changed, but Sarinda wasn't, it's an oversight).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    TheBulwark and BroWatchThis like this.
  7. BroWatchThis

BroWatchThis Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's because it's FW. People love to complain about FW.

TheBulwark likes this.
  8. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I prefer the direction @Xirone went with his Oaken Mace suggestion, but with a lil' more synergy than a nora discount. Garu Kodiak is also holding one making it harder to justify giving it to Elder Garu for free.

As for Sarinda, I'd rather she gained Spellsurge: Foul Rite if we're going there. I dislike the current version of Spellsurge, however, and would see it reworked before doing so.

9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Garu Kodiak'ss Mace looks similar but it clearly has a longer handle putting it in terms of a war mallet in shaft length. There is also no trace of the distinctive feathers. Kodiak is also more recent. I am not saying he cant use the mace. However It is clearly being used by Elder Garu.

However if it is indeed the same mace. Shayne Bingham's design style changed quite a bit from the Garu to the Kodiak. The Kodiak looks more painted and the the Elder Garu looks more drawn. Side note: The artist of the Oaken Mace: Bryan Rypkowski must have had intentions for Oaken Mace to be intergrated with Elder Garu as they were both from the release set. I am also quite sure Byran and Shayne collaborated on others.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Leadrz likes this.
  10. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

If the game was ran based on logic, we would be back to SoE era level of balance.

OchiK likes this.
  11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

This thread was made in response to this thread. Falconer and my several year obsession with getting Oaken related to Elder.

Leadrz likes this.
  12. Entrepidus

While I'm not a gun enthusiast, I'd use their customizability as a means to explain the perceived difference.

Oaken Mace is not a unique weapon of a specific length nor does it require feathers to break faces. If you apply some context, both Garu in the Pox Nora Release Set have tribal attire incorporating feathers. By the time Garu Kodiak was released, feathers were no longer consistently included.

In other words, Elder Garu is wielding a one-handed mace made from oak (and feathers!) while Garu Kodiak is wielding a two-handed mace made from oak. They each wield a mace made of oak (aka Oaken Mace) customized to their fighting style. If you try to categorize them differently as Mace vs War Mallet (which it's not) vs Maul vs Morningstar (etc.) you start to restrict the design space of future equipment.

Diamond Mace, Holy Mace and Oaken Mace are different kinds of maces just like Elite Blade, Night Blade and Reaper's Blade (scythe?!) are different kinds of blades. The intentional lack of specificity means we should focus more on the visual design than the technical size and shape of the weapon each Garu wields.

To that end, my opinion is unchanged.

Legato and KingJad like this.
  13. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

What is up with you and all those colours? Kind of annoying tbh T_T

14. Entrepidus

It's the faction color of each rune I reference.

I've participated in enough threads on the old forums where someone didn't know what faction a rune we were debating was in leading to a lot of wasted time. It also serves to highlight the runes I discuss in my posts as you can quickly scan over them to see what I bring up before reading through for exact details.

15. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Well as you wish, but it sure isn't my box of crayons

16. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Yay for colours

Molosse, Etherielin, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Your logic while solid does not apply for every context. That is like saying every sword, that has a sharp edge must be Excalibur. Regardless if the hilt is a different color or if it is a Claymore (2H) or a Hilt-&-A-Half Longsword (1H-2H). The mace Elder Garu is using is clearly the Oaken Mace. Kodiak is using a war mace. Yes. Is it also made of Oak? Possibly. Does it have a longer shaft. Yes. Is it an Oaken Mace. Possibly. Is it THE Oaken Mace. No.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Leadrz likes this.
  18. Entrepidus

There is a stark difference between a uniquely named weapon like "Excalibur" and a mace prefixed with the adjective "Oaken" to describe the material it is made from. If you look at what you've just said, I'd argue you've presented my case for me.

Saying that Elder Garu is holding the Oaken Mace implies there is only one in existence. . . which is provably false.

Consider it's flavor text: "Menalaus does not realize that this IS the forest defending itself" - Godwin, Elder Garu

Godwin is an Elder Garu which clearly implies there is more than one. Therefore, an Elder would start equipped with an Oaken Mace. Continuing this line of thought, the preferred weapon of choice could be an Oaken Mace and given that Garu Kodiak is physically stronger it would prefer a larger one. Either they both get it or neither do. From a gameplay standpoint, Garu already struggle with higher costs so auto-equipping some of them would likely make this worse.

Given the relatively simplistic art of the earlier runes, I'd consider this a matter of efficiency (referencing existing art is faster) rather than intended use. I would agree that it was intended for use with Garu (Xirone's suggestions), but I don't agree it's specifically designed for a particular Garu.

I don't want to tie up more of the thread arguing over this so I'll leave it at "agree to disagree," but having read your comment that this is somewhat of an obsession for you, I'd suggest it's a less worthwhile cause than your desired changes to Arctic Gift or Sarinda.

19. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Saying that "Elder Garu is holding the Oaken Mace" in no way Implies there is only one. I am saying In real life that the rune Elder Garu is holding the rune Oaken Mace. I did not realize your were talking about the in game universe. We were talking about two separate contexts. I am sorry if I implied that I was talking explorativly in their universe. I didn't think I gave any thoughts that could be taken that way and I am sorry.

Elder Garu is clearly the Oaken Mace. (That we all know.) Now; since I understand that we were arguing the same thing in two different contexts I can see your side of this debate more clearly. So in your context. - In the game universe - The Kodiak is also holding what seems to be the Oaken Mace. Since the Elder Garu was in the Release Set and the Kodiak belongs To the Heritage expansion. (18 Expansions later) I don't know what the time dilation forumla would be to correctly assess how much time has passed in their world between each release. One can assume that over such a great leangth of time. A common weapon such as the Oaken Mace would be apated. A longer hilt there, a tougher cross guard to prevent snapping there. Conclusion. The mace the Kodiak is using could very well indeed be the exact same mace. You were or could very well be right.

Also, don't be afraid or irritated about a healthy debate. This little conversation could be the difference between Gedden making changes or not. Posting opinion is nice and all, but if Gedden doesn't see how our opinions interact with each other to get a conclusive view on them he might make no changes at all. Even if all our opinions are sound.

Should you decide to reply to this even though you stated that you were done with this debate. I am taking a shower and going to sleep. I shall await your response on the morrow.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Leadrz likes this.
  20. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

i think a lot of champs have EQ's in arts.