I think this game/forum has a problem with balance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrakeArron, Jul 29, 2016.

1. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

I thought I read from one of the players here that FW, along with UD, was the top played faction because of its aesthetic?

2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Dwarves and Dragons, gonna get a lot of nerds with those, too

Kampel likes this.
  3. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

Yeah, but blue elves? Cat people? Wierd ugly brown hobbits, bat people and cyclops? No one likes them...
    I'm the opposite. I *hate* playing anything that's not exotic or weirder then the norm. I've seen dwarves before, they're just short bearded people. But cat people and bat people, ferret people and mech-dragons, snow cyclops disaster survivor and amalgamations of everything in existence? Now that's cool.

Kampel, Boozha and SPiEkY like this.
  4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Frog people. Squidfaced people with animalic legs that communicate mentally. Land-going jellyfish. Salamanders with sniper rifles.

I'm sorry, in terms of "weird" SP doesn't stand a chance

IS is really extremely classic, and FW and UD have thos unpleasant tryharding about them ... everything has to be EVIL and KVLT and 1337 and also sexy with oversized boobies.

So yeah, FS > all

(Spieky probably liked this before I edited in the second half)

SPiEkY likes this.
  5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's getting somewhat off topic, but the HS and MtG rotation formats have some fundamental differences which are easy to overlook if you aren't familiar with both games. Non-rotating core set, and constant hero powers, are both big deals.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think in terms of concept they are virtually identical, and I think hero powers falls under the umbrella of "static content" or "core set".

That said, in terms of actual gameplay/deck building, having a fixed core set does make a difference in theory. Even tho much of the core set in MTG does stay the same, even minor adjustments can render many decks non-compliant. On the other hand, if the block cycles out, you have to rebuild your decks anyway.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yes, almost -- close enough.

I disagree. Having a central set of runes means that certain answers and threats will always be present within the game, which fundamentally alters future design.

For the last several years, MtG core has varied widely, and have added original cards. That will change though, because core sets are being removed entirely.

One of the big complaints about HS's core set is that some decks will always exist as a result. Zoolock, for instance, depends upon a few core runes and the Warlock hero power; something like 70 or 80% of that deck is in the core, which puts a minimum on any format's speed.

8. Sokolov

That's the original goal/intent of the MTG core set though (it may have shifted away from that more recently). I do agree that it does give more freedom to future designs if you can introduce/remove specific counters into the core set.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

MtG rotated those, however. It's moot now, though, because that philosophy has not guided the core sets for the past 6 years.

10. Sokolov

I wonder if there's a chart somewhere to see the evolution of the MTG Core Set, would be interesting to see what's gotten shifted out and what stayed or came back.

11. Sokolov

What's happening with formats that previously relied on Core Set + X?

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

2 big blocks, slightly longer rotation window.

13. Sokolov

Are they planning on doing anything to the way blocks themselves are designed? And will the themes of one block simply start bleeding into the next one?

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Blocks are, I take it, still independent designs. I think the exact scale and release schedule has been modified somewhat, although I'd have to check the details.

15. Sokolov

That's a pretty big change, it seems it'll certainly affect the way they design their content at least.