Ideas for Christmas presents

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kampel, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Lets share cool present ideas!

My brother is about to become an architect and i saw this one surfing internet for christmas presents:
    [​IMG]
    Its a set with a gazillion pieces for architects.
    Its not available in Argentina and with our corrupt Customs im afraid to try to get it delivered but hey, it would be a really cool gift!

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

3. Kampel

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Im not getting anyone anything because in the Netherlands we have sinterklaas ( saint nicosanta) to give treats and presents to small kids on the 5th and christmass for religious people to whinge out about on christmass day and the second day of christmass and we use the holidays as an excuse to get together with family and enjoy the true spirit of the winter season which is the thing I just said. where we get together with family... and eat food out of a cultural obligation to enjoy the fact that we made it halfway through winter.

but you know, you can be consumer sheep and be manipulated into thinking you need to buy the love of the people close to you out of a fear of dying alone. that is also fine.

also @Kampel Argentina is on the southern hemisphere of this planet at time of writing this so you have like 6 months to figure out how to get your topical and well thought out gift through corrupt customs to celebrate both your brothers achievements in pursuing a career and the historical winter thing. unless you really want to be bound by the heavy chains of tradition.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  5. Kampel

huh.. noone does "christmas" for religious reasons here, noone has the lighted trees or decorations and we dont even do cultural obligation with the family, its just me, my brother and mom. we make pasta and watch a movie on netflix, gift something the other needs (got an air compressor tank last year, the one i had broke) and maybe later we eat icecream.

My brother is finishing his career this year and i will use the christmas discounts available. First time in a couple years i can spare to buy something cool, wont waste the chance

Tweek516 likes this.
  6. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I fixed some things wrong with my moms car and fixed a toilet for my brother. They let me stay at their houses and eat their food.

fair trade

Kampel, MaruXV and Geressen like this.
  7. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I wouldn't recommend doing presents related to ones profession/specialization. even though it is usually done with the best intentions, they tend to be useless for the person. for example, when I was into music, my father would buy all sorts of stuff that I didn't like and hardly ever used. when I got into literature, the same same thing happened -- I got either really shitty books or books that I've already read.
    better if you stick to a hobby, that way you don't risk making your diletantism get in the way of bringing joy to your close ones.

Kampel likes this.
  8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I bought my brother a taxidermy piranha in Brazil:
    [​IMG]

And my mum a mate cup from Uruguay:[​IMG]

My wife got some inexpensive jewelry and a hooded dressing gown with some cheesy panda ears because she likes that sort of tat.

MEATMAN, Tweek516, Kampel and 2 others like this.
  9. Kampel

Good advice, i dont know whats my brother's hobby. He grows weed, i suppose thats hobby enough

mate <3

10. Alakhami

you can try finding out via facebook. or you could buy him something weed related, like a really cool bong, pipe, vaporizer etc.

Kampel likes this.
  11. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

or you could, I don't know.... talk to people and ask them about what they are into?

13. Alakhami

I assumed he wanted to make it a surprise

Kampel and Geressen like this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

well if he has no idea about his brother's hobbies him suddenly giving a Bane Shift will certainly be a suprise?

15. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Re: architect presents
    The lego set isn't actually a good gift for architects because they would rather design and build all the pieces themselves. Giving them something to make out of a box runs against everything they stand for.

Depending on your budget, some good gifts for architects:
    Subscription to European critique magazines (Architectural Review, Detail, La Croquera)
    Subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud (about $100/year so it might be too expensive)
    If they are interested in physical models, they will appreciate some little tools like an engineer's square, clamps, pliers, modeling glue.
    For a good gift on the cheap, a pack of a dozen Pilot Fineliner pens will be really appreciated.
    An 8x10 notebook is always good. It doesn't have to be moleskin.
    Coffee-related stuff will certainly go over well.

Kampel and MaruXV like this.
  16. Alakhami

I meant by looking through his page

17. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I doubt she'll like it, i thought it was horrible but probably an acquired taste. Make a nice ornament thouug.

It always suprised me how everyone drinks it constantly.

Kampel and MaruXV like this.
  18. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i have a friend here in italy that drinks it all the time too. and he is italian, never been to Samerica...

Kampel likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

OriginalG1 and Kampel like this.
  20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Barbados this year. I just shipped all the presents and Christmas tree to the condo this week. Christmas on the sands is the best.

In Texas it doesnt really snow so there's no white Christmas and such, we usually go somewhere snowy but last year we went tropical and everyone loved it so we're doing it again Highly recommended!

Kampel likes this.