Is Heretic Shackle working like it should, or is its description so bad that I've misread it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, May 30, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Currently, here's how I interpret this linguistic cluster firk:

Champion A has a Shackle, and the opponent has champions B and C.

If champion A stands 1 tile away from champion B and attempts to move to a tile 2 tiles away from champion B, nothing will happen.

If champion A stands 8 tiles away from champion B and attempts to move to a tile 9 tiles away from champion B, nothing will happen.

If champion A stands 5 tiles away from champion B and attempts to move to a tile 6 tiles away from champion B, champion A will be relocated 1 tile towards champion B after the movement.

*If champion A stands 3 tiles away from champion B and 5 tiles away from champion C, and attempts to move to a tile 2 tiles away from champion B and 6 tiles away from champion C, nothing will happen.

Its that last point that sticks. Based on the current description, that's how this should work: if the equipped champion moves towards the nearest opposing champion, it should never suffer from a relocation trigger. Essentially, the equipment generates a 3-6 range radius effect around the nearest opposing champion that acts like Siren Song. Is this how everyone else has interpreted the text? Am I missing something in the description?

Here is the description, for ease of reference:

"Whenever equipped champion moves, via normal movement, 3 or more spaces away from the nearest opposing champion within 6 spaces, it is relocated one space towards that champion."

2. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

it just sucks make it more like siren song
    when champion within 6 spaces away from this champion it moves back 1 space towards the champion ( this triggers 3 times).

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

After further testing, this thing is also bugged as hell. Maybe move to bug forums for further testing. Just had several instances in experiments where the Shackle did literally nothing.

After further experimentation, "opposing" actually refers to opposing to the equipment's owner, not opposing to equipped champion's controller. It tethers it to a friendly unit, sort of. Is that intentional?

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  4. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Okay so turns out. When it says Opposed champion it means opposed to the owner of the equipment. AKA this stops you from moving away from friendly units

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's all sorts of ****y with how it works, I'm pretty sure it's bugged all to hell.

claydude5 and BurnPyro like this.
  6. themacca

Me and Kal just worked it out now. Its not bugged just features a design oversight with the coding

7. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Well, I've done a skirmish where the first thing I deployed was a Heretic Overlord, which naturally equipped the opposing champ with a shackle, and even though it (the enemy champ) was ages away from my guy, every time it tried to move even one space toward the font, it got moved back by the shackle, which shouldn't have happened, so I'm pretty sure it's bugged.

8. themacca

Just explained why. The shackle doesnt let the champ move away from friendly champs. doesnt do Bane Shift for interactions with enemy champs. if the owner of the equipment was bot**** instead of spieky then it would work as intended

9. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i hope that it becomes like mini siren song then it be worth it

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

There were no other champs out, and it should have moved three spaces before moving back anyways, yeah?

Sounds Firking bugged to me.

11. chris0024

chris0024 I need me some PIE!

it is the wording that is off. just like kal found when it says "opposing" it means your champ not your opponent which would be confusing to a peraon rwading it and playing against it for the first time. i didnt realize it myself till i played against it.

Jib likes this.
  12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yes, I understand that part. There was only one opposing champion in play (the equipped one), and it got relocated after every space it tried to move, rather than for every three or whatever it's supposed to be.

I wish people would actually attempt to read and comprehend everything a person posts before attempting to correct them.

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I know what you meant by this, but I still find the statement hilarious :p

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The relocation effect should occur after every tile moved. The numbers involved in the description actually specify the range of the effect, rather than some quantity or quality of triggers. Here, I made a chart:

quick chart.png

Essentially, if any unit standing in the red squares attempts to move away from the yellow target, it will get pulled towards the yellow target according to the drag chart. It's like a Siren Song effect with variable sources and both a minimum and maximum range.

(Bless you MSPaint)

Ohmin likes this.
  15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

So, if there's literally no other opposing units it play (much less in range), it still relocates after every move?

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I have no idea. I would think it shouldn't, but who knows. Maybe it counts the shrine for some reason? Maybe they had a stealthed unit?

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It must have counted the shrine, since there was definitely no stealthed champs, it was turn 3, with no AI deploy (yes, I was watching the combat log for shadowspawns).

18. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

I had it not work as in kalasles piece of art when the yellow champ was stealthed

Boozha likes this.
  19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That is far too kind.

claydude5, Dolcebrodude and Boozha like this.
  20. themacca

I am a pretty funny bloke