list of good new runes from latest expansion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, Jul 28, 2016.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

35 nora- Ice stars - Global spell that damages opposing units and slows them on successful attacks, if this can be amped it is a significant amount of damage each turn just to attack and being slowed with st's other multiple ways of slowing champs is pretty huge.

Lonx wanderer- 11 base damage 14 with protective and 15 damage with arctic, 58 hp in full faction. The problem here is lonx have too many ways to stack stats, with sermon he bumps up to 17 damage, 2 def and 63 hp. With banner 18 damage, 2 defense 68 hp. Lonx also have access to commander and battle master. Healing mind is also a very strong ability just for attacking. Wrap all that into 72 nora and he's a problem.

Kingmaker- Not sure about this one yet but granting the next deployed champ majestic seems very very strong especially in iron fist, I also thought we were moving away from passive champs with 0 damage and no attack.

Burning steel- Salamans are gonna have it rough against ironfist now, another global damaging ability, and I see a lot of potential abuse in splits with things like living vines.

Hyaenid ascendant- With intensify and his price tag in sp he is very cheap for everything he will bring to the table, sabotage defile will work well in hyaenids with things like dream crusher.

Paper wings- Not great but could see it being ran for sneaky font grabs and a bit of a gap closer.

Arroyo portal- more summon abuse for fw

Skywing screecher- very rushy champ with decent stats and flying, reinforce will be huge when running things like vindrax/valdac. Not a big tempo hit and basically allows for a second deploy with reinforce.

Phalanx maker- great font contester when a champ is sitting just outside next to it and tough 3 makes it a pain in the ass to kill, battle master is also pretty huge for a relic.

Goblin rockpack- 90 hp for 73 nora with banner out 105 hp. All the summons having vivify is a lot of ap to hand out to goblins with their decently high damage. Also gives a nice little boost to goblin archers.

Imp thunderclops- Can dish out some damage, with mischief in theme it makes the ability even more dangerous. Could see potential abuse with splits with sl transfusion. Mindstorm for 20+ damage ?

Overall pretty neat expansion and the art is very very good, and that phalanx relic is bad ass.

2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Just saying but I doubt you will see this rune very much. Once its deployed it does nothing ever again. It just sits there all sad that it has already lived its glory days.

3. super71

Yeah but we deploy spells for 35 nora and more for 10 damage so deploying a relic to contest and do 10 global damage is pretty nice, I see what you mean though.

4. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Notice what you don't see on that list? FS runes.

Buff FS.

Boozha and newsbuff like this.
  5. super71

Mind orb looked really good, and then I saw -3 defense permanently lol. Doesn't give nearly enough positive affects to outweigh that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  6. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

Ever think to equip an opponent and then shatter (pilfer?) that equips. For some it is worth a try

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Mind Orb is like a mini-Reclaim that you can use again (with constrictions). Don't undersell it.

Chattering Maw is an incredible worm, might be the FW highlight for me.

8. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

That Cyclopean Boltcase is my dream rune.

9. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Thicket Crawler looks op to me.

10. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

KKKKKKK
    @Markoth buddy, come on, I know you like IS being strong, but really? In a faction with access to RD?
    JEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I didnt mention kingmaker... I said Burning Steel wouldnt see much play. Kingmaker is indeed pretty strong in Dorf decks. I have been playing with one today to great success. I dont use RD though.

12. super71

I just see a lot of abuse coming with kingmaker in split arrow eater bgs. Granting dwarves majestic when they are a very Tanky theme already wasn't a good idea. Bubble also being introduced to the theme was silly.

I guess time will tell what runes break which themes though.

13. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Kingmaker seems to be oppressively strong to me. But I would welcome being proven wrong.

14. Pedeguerra

I wasnt really tagging you because of what you said, I was tagging you because you are part of the council and Sok listens to you.
    Or are you telling me that you didnt know about this rune in advance? Also you probably dont run RD due to your own strategy and whatnot, doesnt mean it isnt a staple and should be ran in every deck. Not to mention split abuse.
    I'm just astonished that you'd let a rune so clearly bad for the game to be released without saying anything. Or if you did, please enlighten us. Although, from your tone, I'm assuming you gave your green light.
    @Markoth

15. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Kingsmaker is very good. No denying that. We should wait and see before jumping to conclusions though. Gift: Kingsmaker can be dispelled which then leaves you with a 60 nora Bubble/Blockade bot which again isnt terrible. Blockade is very strong (won me my game against Tiny earlier) and Bubble on a two turn CD is easy HP.

In my Dwarf deck the best targets I have found are Brewmaster (obv. Reasons) and Paladin Commander (Command Dodge). I have also used it on Euan and Semmir Noble. Noble was a bit of a waste because he can already get Majestic. Now this is me playing him in a Drnk deck and there is no reason Kingmaker is restricted to that kind of deck.

As has already been stated he can be used in a split with UD for Arroweater. I havnt seen it in practice yet so I cant say how effective it will be. On paper it seems like it will be very good. The only weakness would be Dispel and Cones/AoEs.

16. Pedeguerra

There is no need to wait and see, since we all know what Majestic + RD cause.
    But ok, I dont even play so who cares. Certainly not me.

17. Pedeguerra

And yeah, whats up with this? Didnt all passive champs gain a basic attack at some point?
    This is lack of design direction and players - aka Markoth - setting the tone on runes.
    Expansion 30 (player made) will suck balls.

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

One dispel and the Kingmaker+RD player is out 100 nora. Efficiency wise that is the equivilent of killing an expensive champ. Even if you had to deploy a champ specifically to deal with it there is not a single dispel champ in the game that costs more than 100 nora. A year ago Dispel wasnt very common but its pretty common now.

It may very well turn out that it may need a nerf but in recent years Super-Champs have not been viable deck choices (Other than Aspect of Violence decks because screw you Transfusion) . As you yourself have pointed out in other threads the game is shifting towards lots of cheap to low costed champs. If people really badly wanted Arrow Eater + Majestic they could have split with ST for Ancient Implications. Granted its not permanat but it could be done before at a cheaper price and people didnt do it.

Edit: Had to change 90 Nora to 100. Apparently RD is 40 nora now.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Except all of my designs, which are deliciously broken and highly thematic.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Or Favor of the Queen (name?), which does grant permanent Majestic for like 35 nora.

SPiEkY likes this.