Pox the Nora-ing (M:tG thread)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by st3ck, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

Before I look too critically how competitive are you trying to be? Kitchen table, fnm, pro tour?

2. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

FNM, but it'll be primarily for this Sunday as a Game Day thing. I have limited access to rare's and above, and don't intend to splash out for them.

3. Gaverion

ok so a few things I would consider:

Narset while cool doesn't seem very good here. Her + will miss most of the time and rebound isn't that good in your deck either.

I would cut immolating glare, you are planning on attacking a lot more than you get attacked. Same goes for blessed alliance though I could see it in the sb if you run into an aggro burn deck.

If you can get more reflector mages they seem like they would compliment all of your flicker effects niceley.

Now I know you won't want to get all of the cards from this but as a source of inspiration you might want to take a look at this list (or any bant company deck really):
    http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13209&d=277427&f=ST

or annother similar deck
    http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13179&d=277199&f=ST

4. Comissar

Narset was included partly because I really like her backstory, but also because I had it in my head that she could speed along my draws, particularly alongside Jace/Tamiyo. I'm aware Rebound is fairly pointless for this deck, though, so I could always replace her. Now, I do have access to Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. I hadn't included him, but he could potentially replace Narset?

Glare is in there for high tempo decks, so that I don't need to worry so much about defending. I have a decent amount of flash available, and with spirits I'm hoping there's the added dimension of the opponent anticipating things I don't have. It also helps against ramp decks in that it'll take out big threats that I otherwise can't answer. Speaking of Anticipate, would that make a good replacement if I wanted to switch it up into something where I have more control of my own tempo?

Sadly I only have the one Reflector Mage, which is a shame because he's great for inflicting tempo hits. Roil Spout is in there for exactly the same reason, but again I only have the one available.

Looking at the linked decks, I unfortunately lack most of those cards. I do have a single Sylvan Advocate, as well as a Dragonlord Dromoka (currently serving as an EDH Commander :p), but I'm unwilling to push too far into Green largely because my manabase will begin to suffer if I do. I don't really have much in the way of green/white lands, and off the top of my head I don't think I have any blue/green, so green is very much remaining a splash colour here.

5. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Gaverion? Dude, are you playing Pox any? Haven't seen you in ages. The Pox split BG master!

6. Gaverion

Haha thanks. I haven't played the game in ages but still troll the forums regularly. I have been holding out for draft to come back :p .

@Comissar I would definitely run the Gideon. Also if running green at all dromoka and advocate seem better as they have a bigger impact if they come down late.

7. Comissar

Sure, so Gideon in place of Narset, Advocate in place of the Guardian of Pilgrims I guess. What about Dromoka? Maybe replace a Fogwalker? I'm not too bothered about dropping the Guardian, but adding Dromoka in does skew my curve upwards. Also, think I'll need a forest or two more? Or should 5 lands (counting the Wilds) be enough given I'll only need one source for any given card?

Edit - Just remembered I do also have Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit, and for some reason I hadn't included her. Being a solid two drop, and a spirit to boot, I'll try and find some space for her.

Edit the Second - Just for kicks, I also put together a putative Modern deck built around Suspend/Narset shenanigans. I don't actually have most of the cards, but both Narset and Jhoira look fun, and I do actually have the titan's. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jhoiras-experiments/

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  8. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

I play Commander with my buds at the kitchen table as well as local shop. Currently running Uril, Kaalia, and Jhoira. Fun times. We play respectfully with no land/hand destruction but still end up grated at each other at times! :eek:

9. Comissar

Of my Commander decks, this is probably my favourite to play, though my Gisela deck is also a lot of fun. Neither list is 100% up to date, but they both convey roughly what the deck sets out to do. Once new Bruna, new Gisela, and new Avacyn cycle out, they'll likely find their home in the Gisela EDH (and indeed that's where Avacyn was for a time). I'm currently trying to find a Gisa and Geralf so that I can make a Zombie EDH.

10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Hijacking this discussion to ask: Is there a free MTG simulator out there? Or even a commercial one, just not as f*cking awful as Magic 2014?

Also, y'all nerds

11. Comissar

Magic Duels is free, and also enjoyable. It doesn't have most of the backlog of cards, unfortunately, but does have decent chunks of everything from Magic Origins onwards. Magic Online is, as far as I'm aware, the only digital one that gives you access to the full catalogue, but it's also not free.

12. Boozha

What about, uh, fan projects? Are the official guys so vigilant about it?

13. Comissar

Not looked, so couldn't say. I imagine they're rather litigious, though. Wizards of the Coast can be rather... Proactive... About defending their IP. The closest I've seen passively is probably Tappedout's playtest feature, but that's not especially good for actually playing the game. I mean, I guess you could do forum games using screenshots, but you'd need to use the honour rule system to prevent cheating.

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Cockatrice. Google it.

Boozha likes this.
  15. Boozha

Woop, that looks powerful.

16. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Cockatrice like mentioned if you know how to play and want to argue about rulings with idiots.
    Xmage if you like your rules enforced, don't mind the lag/bugs and can live with a smaller card collection (I use that term lightly).
    Forge if you want to mess around against a dumb AI but be 100% sure everything works as intended... 99% of the time. There's also some online mode but I have no idea how it holds up.

17. Boozha

Crap, it's for giant nerds that actually know all the rules ;_; I'm just a filthy casual ...

I copied Comissars deck (because why not), but playing with Cockatrice is bad for my mental health.

What's that Forge you are talking about?

18. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Try Forge then, plenty of cool stuff to do single player. Draft, Seal, Commander, Momig Vig, whatever. There's also a Quest mode where you unlock cards and stuff. Everything is enforced/automated. Pretty good to learn the game.

19. Gaverion

For learning rules duels of the planeswalkers is a good one. Cockatrice is fun once you know the rules, it is a lot more like paper magic. I use cockatrice just for the deck builder all the time.

20. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member