Ranked problems - again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Atherhog, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Sorry to bring this up again, but I really hate the new ranked system and I want to explain why.

1: Elitist
    Poxnora already suffers from elitism. There are people on the forums who loudly shut down peoples opinions if they are not one of the acknowledged top 10 players. It's one of the things I hate about the forums, it doesn't encourage players to be involved.

The ranked system plays directly into this. If you don't make the BM league, then you can't compete in ranked. You can't check your league position and your actual results don't overly matter. Elitist.

2: Not Representative of Results
    For whatever reason, I struggle to get over the 25/50 mark in my league. Despite this, for around a month, my rating has been around 1250-1300. Yet, many people in the BM league have much lower ratings. So what does the BM league represent?

3: It Discourages Play
    I play to compete in a league. I always have since I first started around 5 years ago. Now, I can no longer do that, it's been taken away. I don't mind being in league 2, but I want to see where I am in league 2. So why do I play?

@Sokolov I know you have lots to do with the game, but I honestly think this needs looking at.

Axeraiser, Sealer0 and Netherzen like this.
  2. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I noticed that i pointed several problematic things and no one payed any attention.But when later someone like ballballer repeats the same thing i said,everyone suddenly agrees its a issue.

OriginalG1, Alakhami and Elves Rule like this.
  3. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Does anyone even have the mildest respect for the opinions of the people who behave this way? my guess is no since i've seen how these people get treated in the community.

It represents those who play the most and their ratings, i'd argue that only the ones who play a lot have ratings that even come close to accurately representing their play anyways.

You play to fight your way to the battlemaster league. Along the way you'll be granted fairly good rewards the deeper down the ranking system you make it. that's your incentive and then competition comes afterwards.

4. Atherhog

I actually don't think this is true. I play around 3-5 games per day, most days. I have been pretty consistent with 1250-1300 ratings during this release. But I can't quite be consistent enough to break into the BM. Whenever I get close I have a run of playing top players which sends me plummeting back down. I guess if I dodged a little, I could make it easier, but is that the point?

5. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Happened to me several times too - like back when angels were insane.

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

How dare you call me Elitist, with your peasant non-BM rank.

Ballballer and Atherhog like this.
  7. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I read this Eehiist, and was very confused for a moment.

Qucas and fattyy2k like this.
  8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Sure, but if you gain rank you should expect to be matched with higher ranking players. As you get near the top of limited league you'll be matched with more BMs. So I guess there is going to be a point for everyone where it gets tough to rank further.

You might have been unlucky and run into top 20 players a lot, but shouldnt lose so much rank to them.

Sealer0 likes this.
  9. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

I swear this happens to me all the time.

10. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Life isn't fair :c

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

1) The forum has always favored the top. Even when back in 2014 the only difference was that it was the top 100 that was vocal compared to the top whatever it is now.

2) All it takes to reach BM league is a 50% win/loss ratio. BM just represents the group that plays the most.

This doesn't really relate to your 3, but I really wish they'd bring back blue names. That Bane Shift encouraged me to play.

Ballballer, Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  12. Atherhog

This is the point. The rank of the people you lose to makes ZERO difference to promotion

13. R334P3R

R334P3R I need me some PIE!

I had around 1300-1400 rating when I made it to battle master, once I made it there I breathed a sigh of relief and started playing for fun. Sure I have dropped down into low 1200s since I am not just playing the same deck that got me to bm, but thats because I cant loose my picture, and I got the rewards already. Now there is no punishment for actually getting to test out all the odd quirky decks I come up with. Battlemaster shows you have what it takes to be a good player. Rating just shows that you play the same silly meta deck over and over. Unless you are trying to get to battle master, or actively competing for top 10 or whatever, rating means nothing and that is a good thing. I think the system is beautiful. A system more based on rating is very punishing and discourages play, since once you get where you want to be your desperate not to loose it. You scrape for points and just do what it takes to stay there. With the small player base regardless of what system they use you will still have to face the top of the ladder regularly regardless of rating and matchmaking.

Tldr: I like it, leagues that you cant loose once you get to let you compete with a goal, and also give you the option of relaxing and having fun. There just arnt enough players for unranked, and you will have to play against everyone regardless of rating.

Qucas likes this.
  14. Atherhog

This is an interesting take on it. Would you at least agree that showing the rankings per league wouldn't harm anything?

15. R334P3R

R334P3R I need me some PIE!

Well it again puts the focus on the rank instead of the league. Leagues show you have what it takes, ranking shows how your doing that week. Worrying about ranking is what can be punishing, it can change, and rapidly so depending on who your up against, or if your playing seriously that day. Until you make it to bm, rank means nothing. Once your at bm you have the choice to truly compete and take it serious, or to just have fun. And if bm is just out of your reach, you can just sit in whatever leauge your in and have fun there without people judging you on your rating. Your current league (once your past the ones you can get to by loosing :p, which I think is silly but gives some rewards to new players so its ok.) your league gives a general idea of your skill, at least when your serious. If you make to bm your pretty damn good regardless of your rating, and then if you have like a 1500+ well guess your actually trying to compete and have the time to do so. Props to those that do, but I just dont have that time, and like to have fun, if I were judged based on my current rating Id look pretty bad, despite that I have been pretty high when I was really serious.

With how things can vary by the day and week, and the small player base, ranking between 1200-1400 shows very little difference in skill, and it only starts mattering once you get past that point, and do so consistently enough to also be a bm. For if your a bad player that gets a lucky wining streak and shoots up in rating that week that shows nothing about your long term ability, unlike the current leauge system which does. Any accurate statistical numbers needs alot of tests to reveal what the actual average number is, aka your leauge.

Basically it breaks down like this, league whatever is roughly how good you are, hey your bm alright your pretty top notch, are you below that 1500 mark? Well your either not competing, or you have reached your potential, either way if your potential is bm that's pretty good. If your over 1500 well damn your the cream of the crop and that's some hard work and the numbers actually start mattering.

If people focus on the mid level ratings its punishing, it discourages play, and encourages elitism.

Honestly it probably wouldn't be harmful since elitism is just not going away, and most of the old players are just awful pricks. But it certainly wouldent improve things, and I like it how it is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  16. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

the new rank system is very messed up but not for the reasons you listed.

the elitism thing is in your head, most of the players who were formerly "elites" have been humbled by now. trying to get the game properly balanced is not elitism...

the current rank system is pretty much a farming contest, battlemaster league doesnt mean anything but you having played a certain amount of games. it actually encourages play because pretty much anyone can get battlemaster league now if they play enough but its taken the meaning away from ratings, ranks, and icons. There is no real reason to play pvp competitively atm, which is a really bad thing.

even league of legends one of the most casual pvp games out there hasnt removed the competition aspect from its game, poxnora's new ranked system is extremely flawed.

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

Riiiiiiiiiight

18. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

you are delusional, lol.

19. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

why is he delusional? that actually happened

20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

with the match history he just posted he's implying that he's better than me at this game and therefore hasnt been humbled, which is ridiculous.

this is one of the only times i will respond to you because you also seem to be in your own world and out of touch with reality even much more so than bp.(bp just trolls)

I am not going to say I am a more skilled player than burnpyro but what I will say is that, that particular match history he posted is worthless and the fact that I even got to a similar skill level is enough by itself to humble burnpyro and other players who some may have considered "elites"

@themacca i took you off mute for my own reasons.

outside of devilsrath and tinydragon this game has no "elites" currently. if you want to be considered an elite, get good like devilsrath and tinydragon.