Red-Tipped Raptor: Maybe slightly overefficient?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boozha, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

With sibling active it's a little silly, isn't it. Rarely seen such an un-sandbagged champ. If UD can have this nonsense, could the shredder please lose the manual modifier it has for pretty much that exact reason.

2. leentourage

leentourage The King of Potatoes

I'm inclined to agree, first turn Raptor is too much of a good start.

3. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

More like phenomenally too efficient, they are efficient before Sibling is even triggered.

4. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

mauler 2.0

Faust likes this.
  5. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I wish there were an ability that forces a champion to not be revealed early.

Delayed (-2 Nora)- This champion will not be revealed in the runedock until at least 15 runes have been revealed already.

mortal ix and badgerale like this.
  6. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

to be honest, id draw win with a potato with the spells i run in UD

Lushiris and Xirone like this.
  7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Can you explain what combination of abilities and costs make this the case?

It has no nora modifier and pays full price for each ability on it. Are there abilities on this champ that are undercosted?

(I am not saying I disagree that the champ is good, and nerfed it already this recent patch, but I'd like hear additional thoughts.)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  8. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

You could just say its just a particularly well designed rune, and because its benefitting from one of the best faction bonus' in the game. Lets say you take Sibling and Pounce 3 as they are the best choices imo. You have a 74 nora champ with 7 speed, 14 damage, 55 hp and a pseudo range attack that bypasses defence. Thats pretty damn good, now you get 2 out and its 8 speed, 17 damage +1 defence and 60 hp. That much speed and damage, and its ability to tank decently with high health is what makes him too good, and thats before banner too.

Like I said he's just well designed, by which I mean he's phenomenally streamlined, no sand bag abilities, or any other abilities to drive up his cost. Just a straight up melee lighting fast wrecking machine.

Compared to other Sibling champs, say Redcap twins who have Bleed and Rend on base to drive up its nora cost, or Maulers who have Execute and Reduce Magig, or Bru Bros who have expensive Base abilities and an Expensive U2 line.

So like I said its not that its abilities or undercoated, its just phenomenally streamlined and combined with UD faction bonus it gets pushed into the realm of being too cost efficient for what it does.

Tweek516 and Griselbrand like this.
  9. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Basically it's the combination of SPD and DMG. 8 SPD allows for a more powerful Flame Surge and easy double tap, which makes it extra dangerous with UD bonus + Sibling. However I find Raptor less troublesome than SL's Mauler tbh, not sure it requires a nerf.

10. Sokolov

How much do you think it should cost?

11. Boozha

I guess you had a bit of pain modulating the manual modifier on the shredder, eh? Same kinda deal ...

At least so much that you can't deploy 2 in your first 2 turns, but probably a fair price would be higher. It's just a *lean* design. No sandbags to balance out anything at all.

12. Sokolov

Note: Mauler has 26 in base and upgrades, while Red-tipped has 20 if you take Pounce 3 and Sibling.

So if we reduced the Red-tipped's base DMG by 2 and added Execute (which would be about +1 or +2 nora for a base of 77 nora), this would mean the Red-tipped would have 25 in base and upgrades with Pounce 3 and Sibling as upgrades. Is that along the lines of the same kind of sand-baggedness that the Mauler has (25 in abilities vs 26)?

Or is the value of Sibling, Execute and Pounce 3 considered higher than that of Sibling, Execute, Reduce Magic, Regeneration 2 and Pounce 1?

13. Boozha

Reduce Magic, Regeneration 2 and to a degree Pounce 1 are sandbaggy, while Sibling isn't (as long as you can get out the second, which you can in 2 subsequent turns), and Pounce 3 means, even if you just used it for movement, 4 AP for 4 tiles, which isn't evne bad, but then also the pounce effect. So yeah, the sandbags, I'd say, are reduce magic, regneration and Pounce 1, because rank 1 is vastly inferior to rank 3.

"Sandbag", as I use it, doesn't necessarily mean something useless, just something that is useful in a spectrum of situations that is relatively limited. As long as your enemy isn't throwing out damaging spells Reduce Magic isn't going to do anything, while whacking faces with sibling or pounce or generally murderous stats just doesn't go out of style.

The ratio of stats ot each other might be another factor ... A champion can be sandbagged by a bad range, for example, or too high DEF, or be crippled by too low SPD or HP.

So the thing that makes things overefficient is not only power, but power multiplied with applicability. Whacking faces (or psychic pinging) is applicable in about 100% of cases.

14. Sokolov

You didn't mention Execute at all, so I assume you don't think it's a Sandbag.

So let's say we do Regen 2 instead of Execute for Red-tipped Raptor, here's how it'd compare:

Mauler (26 nora in abilities and 77 nora and 10 nora in sandbags)
    Attack: Physical (2 nora) - Not a Sandbag
    Sibling (10 nora) - Not a Sandbag
    Reduce Magic (3 nora) - Sandbag
    Execute (4 nora) - Not a Sandbag
    Pounce 1 (2 nora) - Sandbag
    Regeneration 2 (5 nora) - Sandbag

Red-Tipped (25 nora in abilities and 77 nora and 5 nora in sandbags)
    Attack: Fire (2 nora) - Not a sandbag
    Sibling (10 nora) - Not a sandbag
    Regen 2 (5 nora) - Sandbag
    Pounce 3 (8 nora) - Not a sandbag

Is this overefficient still, it now has a Sandbag? Does it need another 5 nora in Sandbags to "match" the Mauler?

15. Sokolov

Maybe the real problem is that abilities shouldn't cost nora at all or are all overcosted, as most people would generally prefer raw stats over abilities whenever the topic comes up.

I also think raw stats is easier to see as strong, but things like Reduce Magic is underratted because you don't get a clear benefit out of it but it may still win you games consistently. So I think the term Sandbag is unfair in many scenarios and a problematic stance.

At the same time, adding Sandbags everywhere is what leads to powercreep and ability creep.

It's unfortunate how much what players wants tends to contradict what they want in other arenas. I can't produce simple champs that people want because simple champs are overpowered because they lack sandbags. Champions with many abilities though are either overpowered because they get those abilities cheaper than they should and are swiss army knives OR they are underpowered because they are sandbagged AND they have complexity/ability creep.

~

All that said, I do think Raptor is a bit more efficient than he should be :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Griselbrand likes this.
  16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I will take 1 Reduce Magic champ please. IS <3

17. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Well damn it , seems i have to talk seriously before the rune gets shoeboxed. ( Ps i don't even run the damn thing , it is inferior to other options)
    Now before you ask, Why do you say this great beater is inferior?
    Pros of unit
    He's fast
    High dmg
    Meaty

Cons?
    He requires you to flat out engage the enemy or he will get destroyed by range or cc'd ( read no UD cleanse) (No longer-term gameplay)

He is basically just for draw winning. Ye draw losing sucks , but what the hell do you expect when you design UD to be an early game faction? What can you possibly give a rune to make it an early game power that isn't just raw power stats/Kill potential?

He is literally the very exact thing people in this game love to call out for OP
    No one will ever call out Distract (Sp spell 20 nora AOE 3) out for being OP (Or maybe they will what do i know?), even though it is. Because they can not see , nor understand the power of runes that are not damage related.

Now i can go all out and list the runes in UD that are clearly better than raptors , hence should not run raptors, but why should i bothered shining a light on runes that people will mostly likely allow to be OP out of ignorance?

18. Sokolov

I understand your POV and do not think he's vastly OP or anything.

I do think there are arguments to be made for his being more efficient than the sum of his parts. And the high DMG value at SPD 8 is quite eyecatching and I think we both agree on that. It's "easy" power.

~

My question would be what minor adjustments would you feel doesn't shoebox him? I wouldn't want to just increase his cost or anything, but for example giving him Regeneration and lowering DMG to maintain cost is a possibility that reduce the raw power while maintaining power parity.

19. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Now there is 2 routes in my mind for this rune
    The classic, either as you said 1)damage reduction/regen 2) Hp decrease by 10, less beefy , same power 3) Decrease Speed by 1 (One of these 3 , not all 3.)

OR The rework route, Turn him in to a Mainly Fire BG rune with amplify fire etc , POSSIBLY LOSING SIBLING.
    If this was the route would need more time to think on the specifics( And im not saying this should be the route i am simply pointing out potential for his current kit)

20. Boozha

Execute is part of hitting in the face, which, as I said, never gets old. It's always applicable.

As for the "consistently" you mentioned later - how would, for example, weaken magic do something consistently? If you enemy is FS he'll not even try to do spell damage, if he'e having a spellless or otherwise not spell reliant deck he won't have to give your ability any value.

Whether or not it would be overefficient or not isn't exactly something you should ask someone who never designed a rune, eh :p You could change it and let me see it ingame, I dunno.