Short Stories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Makorov, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Mods: I understand this doesn't belong here, but would it be possible to leave it for a day or so for some publicity? If not, thanks anyways!

Everyone else: Short story written to kill some time at the DMV! Thank you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is for your betterment, stop this foo-”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEK!”

Despite the multiple pieces of encouragement and comfort he provided to the miserable little imp, Zendu couldn’t calm him down. He decided he would try once more. Just once more.

“Yes, you will lose these flimsy wings. These weak wings. These insubstantial wings. But you will gain immeasurable power! Power so great you will be feared throughout Poxanthuru! Statues will be built in your honor! STATUES! Yes? Come now. Show some restraint. Your behavior is unsightly.”

The imp seemed to settle a slight bit, and stared at Zendu with wide eyes and mouth agape.

“Aha! There we are! I’m glad you’ve come around. Now, if you will, please step into the machine.”

The imp glanced at the machine, then back at Zendu. Zendu smiled kindly and gestured encouragingly. Hesitantly stepping into the machine, the sudden snapping of the arm and leg braces startled the imp and his eyes wildly darted around until they landed on Zendu’s face, where a warm and reassuring smile was firmly planted.

“Well done!” Zendu exclaimed, and gave the imp a small round of applause.

This seemed to have done the trick, for the imp began smiling. Beaming, in fact. It suddenly puffed out its chest and seemed ready enough to take on the elves on its own.

A sudden flash erupted from the braces holding the imp in place. When the light faded it was clear that the imp had been crystalized.

Zendu began walking towards the double doored exit, leaving behind young interns to finish up.

“Remove the wings. Make sure they remain crystalized until they reach the Succubus’. Follow proper attachment procedure. And, most importantly, have a good day.”

Atherhog likes this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Totally.

Makorov likes this.
  3. Makorov

Thank you, I appreciate it :D

4. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

I have very little knowledge of the underdepths, have no idea who zendu is, and am only assuming what the ending means. But I still liked this little short story, and would love it if you made more :). Something about your writing style is... calming somehow. IDK.

5. Makorov

Thank you :)

Zendu is just a made up character who is a demon and a "surgeon." The reason he's removing the wings of the imp is to send them to a Succubus, who, according to their Pox lore, are simply Nefari who have been allowed access to wings by Maxxarek.
    I thought it would be interesting to see where they got those wings.

Buuuut... Now that I think about it, imp wings are a little too small haha

6. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

I figured it would be something like that :p. Well, who knows, maybe they're big imps, like the one in that concept art preview for the new expansion.
    EDIT: Actually, that imp looks much bigger in the art then his champ sprite shows him to be o_O

7. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

@Makorov I'm setting up a guest story section on the website, can I put this there?

Makorov likes this.
  8. Makorov

Sure ^^

9. Atherhog

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

There have also been a lot of great player stories written over the years (sometimes on their own, other times as submissions for contests).

11. Atherhog

That's true actually. I'll have to trawl through and add them as well.