So police robots with guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by super71, Dec 10, 2022.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

https://theintercept.com/2022/10/17/police-robot-gun-oakland/

So in California, they have very strict gun laws, and now they want to give robots guns, and allow police forces to use said robots to kill human beings... I'm not really a big fan of drone warfare to begin with, but I know it is to not endanger our troops anymore than we have to. Seeing as currently we can hold cops accountable for shooting people dead, I would prefer that robots couldn't be used because then we will never know who actually pulled the trigger. Food for thought, I feel like this is just the start of pushing for more policing with robots and drones, similar to what China subjects it's population too. Wild times

They say it wasn't passed yet, but it's really only a matter of time, and that is some scary stuff in my opinion. Am I over reacting, or does this worry anyone else ?

2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I think calling them robots is a bit misleading, as it implies autonomy.
    About worrying, I am more worried about cops everywhere in the world being unprofessional and hotheaded and too willing to use a firearm instead of doing what they should do. Also I am worried that the "spirit de corps" of cops compels them to shield other policemen from the consequences of their actions rather than to serve justice and the people. Again, this is not a USA thing.
    I think it's time already to revisit the police force organization, to add meaningful civilian participation and oversight and to professionalize the force in human rights, de-escalating, and handling of mentally ill people. Remember, guns and robots don't kill people, people do.

super71 and Alakhami like this.
  3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I am also worried about cops being too hot headed, but my concern is solely for the fact that you would now have hot headed cops, hidden behind a killing machine, where it would be difficult to prove who did what, and who made the robot pull the trigger. This would be a very interesting way to take out people, that the government just simply has a problem with, or the police just didn't want to deal with. I'm not worried as much YET, about the robot going rogue.

Yes the police force needs a drastic change, as does most, if not all of our government agencies, most of which I won't drag you down into that rabbit hole for lol. I agree though, mental health in the United States specifically is not addressed, I can tell you that first hand because of a family member that needs help, but the government refuses to help at all in most mental health circumstances.