The Infestor, and its place in SL

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by Xuldorl, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Xuldorl

Xuldorl I need me some PIE!

I was building and tinkering with a Mutant centered group (SL/UD in my case), when I finally got a good look at our friend the Infestor. I thought I'd post my thoughts and some questions on the critter.

1. Fluff Problem: A nitpick about its text, but not its mechanics. It is said to resemble the Pupae stage of some creature, but it doesn't really (or maybe I just do not see it). It looks Larval if anything. Just, felt it was worth stating.

2. Living Spell Seal: For a 30 nora champion, you get the effect of Nora Pearls (a 30 nora relic), Tainted Statue (a 25 nora relic), or Wooden Scales (a 20 nora relic). This doesn't count against your Spell Seal limit, effectively increasing the number you can have.

3. Your agent, their merc: Unless I misunderstand this creature, Infestors apply the effect of Mercenary to their controller (your opponent), meaning that one will draw away from your opponent's nora supply. While 2 nora isn't much (and 4 isn't much better), it can have an impact in the long run.

4. Ignorance: Not only does this thing lack an attack, it won't capture or contest any fonts. As a result, the only real risk to this rune (from what I can tell) is that your opponent can use it to get in your way.

Strategy ideas:
    1. Discouraging spells: Given this creature's abilities, you can enhance a group meant to discourage the use of spells in your opponent. Just pick your poison, and run with it.

2. Nora burning: There are some spells and other effects that are more powerful the more Nora your opponent possesses. It then, stands to reason, there is the potential for a strategy reliant on giving your opponent as much Nora as possible. Energy Overload and Nora Trap are two such spells. Have an Infestor geared to Nora Pearls in play, and cast away. Keep in mind two things though; Nora Pearls does not Stack, and this gives your opponent more resource to work with. But, it could be hammered out into a novel strategy. I would consider possessing champions with Surge: Enemy if you were going to attempt such a thing.

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Your opp can drop relics next to it, thats why noone really uses it..

3. Xuldorl

Fair point. Anything with Siege Lord would fix that (though, that may be on only one thing I think, and it blocks you as well).

4. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

And whats the point on using a SpellSeal bg if you cant spamm relics xD

5. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

Heres an idea for how to use it- use it with anything that gets buffed when it uses its basic attack.

I don't know enough about cards to say which would work, but I do know of deep leviathen. With deep leviathen, it gains a couple charges whenever it attacks. Get 15, and *boom* 40 global damage. assuming your playing a full fire immune BG, that means the enemy is essentially dead unless they already have a huge lead or are also a fire bg. However, in order to do this you need to keep him alive.
    Now, keeping him alive while hes fighting the enemy is hard as he has one range. However.... if I were to, say, have a defensless enemy that I could chose were to put, then I could rack up a ton of charges on leviathen without ever having to put him in danger.

The only weakness to this is the infestors airdrop... however that could be easily countered with a minor relocation disabler.

Course, in order to have a combo like this in FF SL you'd need a rune with similar benefits to Deep Leviathen that have a requirement of attacking/ being near an enemy... and IDK if SL has that.
    But I had this idea soon after I discovered leviathen, and I thought you guys might be able to make use of it.

6. Xuldorl

Brilliant.

Additionally, given its low cost.. if you have something that benefits from champion deaths (Death Charged for instance), it is something to throw out and away.

DrakeArron likes this.
  7. DrakeArron

Awesome! I might have actually come up with a good deck tactic! If anyone figures out a deck using this idea, *please* contact me. I'd love to play a deck I actually had a hand in creating from scratch- or at least one with a module from scratch.

8. DrakeArron

Something I just realized should be mentioned though- going by its liability and airdrop, its pretty safe to assume this wasn't the champs orginaly intended purpose. As such, if the combos made with it ever get too powerful it will in all likelihood be immediately nerfed. As far as I can tell, the devs don't much like the idea of giving you the ability to attack your own champs- and this, for all intents and purposes, is pretty much doing exactly that.

9. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

Ive built a bg (fs/sl) that uses him with opportunistic assault to split muckers. i had a shitton of muckers at the lategame, but the bg was really slow and draw dependent, so i didnt even bother to go into ranked.

10. Milos

Milos The King of Potatoes

Dont know why bat this is not working at all probably just to slow for meta:(

11. ormen

ormen The King of Potatoes

way to slow for meta, nora pearls + tainted statue. great nora gen for yourself

Milos likes this.