Time for pox 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by st3ck, Jun 12, 2015.

1. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

This ain't working.

If this game is so wrong and unbalanced that literally every champ, ability, mechanic build, etc needs to be changed or altered, just make a new game.

And make it a lot more like pre-Dow pox, than post Dow pox. In every sense.

That is all.

2. claydude5

claydude5 The King of Potatoes

3. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Posting in my own butthurt rage thread to remind myself to think more before posting.

Goyo, yobanchi, Boozha and 1 other person like this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I always found Maljara (after the first revamp) the most enjoyable and most balanced Pox has ever been. Everything could compete, nothing too broken, fun stuff all around.

Then again, nostalgia is a fickle lover.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Upgrade free-for-all. That was good times. Bring back the old attack and defense system!

6. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Awe st3cky-poo we love you!

7. TheBulwark

Now kalasle you are speaking my language

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Great times indeed.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I do remember that time fondly. I think a lot of things factored into the feeling of "more balanced":
    • 3 full-time in-house designers (Rev, Corpse and I) with differing styles of design and approaches
    • A lot more players back then (Maljara came after the long dry spell following the whole Facebook failure when nothing was released, so there was a lot of hype there)
      • Tho I think the net change was still negative (as far as I can tell, Pox lost more players around that time than any other time)
      • But more players means more people around your rank and more things are competitive even if nothing else changes
    • All of the new themes were generally competitive and complete with each other, so anyone who bought a bunch of runes could have a "complete" deck
      • Many people eventually got tired of this approach tho, as they had to wait long time to get a rune for certain decks/themes/builds
    Of course, we are also forgetting all the nerf cries about Stitched being OP, Tortuns being OP, Aspects being OP, etc.

But it's hard to objectively measure or think about something like that. Numbers-wise, I know that meta diversity didn't peak then in terms of number of runes people in the top 200 used, but it's hard to read too much into that as well.

Bellagion, SaintKiwi and TheBulwark like this.
  10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I doubt it was better back then. Never trust nostalgia.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Dear diary

Today sok agreed with me to some extend without us first exchanging jabs and trolls. I must remember to always treasure this moment, for I feel truly alive.

Much love

BeePee

KingJad, SaintKiwi and Bellagion like this.
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

In all seriousness, it's hard to judge pox viability and player numbers relating to X or Y factor. There's so many reasons, for example league became really big around Maljara/just after it. I remember a fair bit of players getting hooked on that.

Still, it was the first time when I really started grinding Pox out. It'd be my time machine setting.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Re: League, and other similar things like WOW.

To some extent, it is amazing to see gaming becoming less of a "basement dweller" thing. On the other hand, huge successes like that I feel has a negative impact too on the landscape - where it becomes much harder to compete and all the money chases the outliers - usually to their own detriment. This then has the effect of publishers and investors being even more fearful and wanting sure things - leaving all the innovations to indies... who don't have the capital to pull thru (as we have seen even with "successful" kickstarters).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    BurnPyro and Boozha like this.
  14. TheBulwark

It was though people played more different champs even though there were less champs lol

15. Boozha

Sok pretty much just said that they didn't, at least not in the top 200. Which is about 50% of the pop at the best of times, I guess.

16. TheBulwark

Well I usually did well an played more champs and was top 50 most of the time on my old account, but that could be me extrapolating my experience onto others I guess

17. Boozha

I play more BG's seriously (as seriously as me skrub can) now than ever. So eh

18. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Pox 2.o is actually not doing to hot last I checked *cough* conquest of champions *cough*

The original pox is still pretty awesome...

19. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Honestly doe I agree. As far as balancing goes there's straight up too many runes to balance. Design is headed in the wrong (boring) direction too, imo.

20. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

I have a great idea to improve pox.
    We could let people who haven't been involved with the game for an extremely long time revamp the entire game!
    That sure would blow a fresh breeze wouldn't it?