What does sl think of the new bonus as it is now ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, May 3, 2017.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Sl bonus is tough 2, it eats up abilities like stone barrage, ping etc. Sl bonus is basically tough 2 on all sl champs, what do you think that would cost in other factions ?

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It's not tough 2 because it doesn't reduce damage from all sources. It's better than DEF 2, but not as good as Tough 2.

Tweek516 likes this.
  3. super71

Inconsistencies of pox, so were not tough 2, but were not defense so were in between which i'm now calling " pox ability limbo" or poa for short. A lot of different things I apply to poa.

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It's not an inconsistency. The SL bonus is different than both Tough 2 and +2 Def. Just like the IS bonus is not the same as Weaken Spells. They are two different functions entirely.

5. super71

Not even gonna get into this with you guys, the sl bonus should work either as tough does or defense does. Were moving away from percentages to make the game easier, well making the sl bonus work as neither +2 defense or as tough 2 makes things overly complicated for no reason when that's why were going away from %.

I don't wanna explain to a new player that the sl bonus is neither tough 2 or +2 defense and doesn't work how either of them do. It's unnecessary bloat that could be avoided.

Champions you control take 2 less damage from champions. This is the sl bonus listed under faction profile

definition of inconsistent- not staying the same throughout

Sure you could argue that tough is inconsistent also but tough has a very straight forward definition in pox

Any time this unit would take damage, it takes 1 less than normal. This ability always works this way, therefore it is consistent.

I don't really understand what the sl bonus doesn't stop that tough 2 stops to be honest, as it seems to function very similar to how tough 2 works. They both stop auras, they both stop ping, they both reduce damage from stone barrage, does the sl bonus stop dots also ? If so then i'd have to say the sl bonus is indeed tough 2 on all sl champs.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  6. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

Yes, please change SL bonus to take -2 from all sources of damage including LoL. SL needs a counter to pesky tomb in fw

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yep. If you consider it from the perspective of being slightly worse than Tough 2, it's worth about the same as the KF bonus probably? (~8 nora/champ)

darklord48 likes this.
  8. Sokolov

From a lore perspective, IS' bonus is divine protection from sorcery, while SL's is just thick skin :D

But yea, if this is an "inconsistency" then I guess "evasive" and "reflexes" both existing are also "inconsistencies." They should prevent the same kind of damage!

Etherielin, Tweek516 and darklord48 like this.
  9. super71

I guess leave it as is and have a bunch of people confused ? How is it different from tough 2, what does it not stop that tough 2 does ?

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

well each factions bonus is roughly 7-10 nora bonus stats to each faction. excluding FW and FS because FS gets flat nora which is more useful than just added value due to the versatility in it's spending. and the FW bonus' impact largely changing based on how the game goes

11. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

SL bonus doesn't work against DOTs, terrain effects, spells, relics, or equips.

12. Sokolov

Who is confused, exactly?

Tough specifically states that it reduces damage with no caveats, while the SL bonus specifies that it only prevents champion based damage.

So this means that ONLY damage that is directly sourced to a champion is prevented. Rather than "inconsistent" and "confusing" it literally does exactly what it says.

If the SL bonus is "confusing" then so is anything else that specifies specific subsets of damage - IS bonus, Evasive, Spell Resistance, Immunity, Resistances, are all "confusing."

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Tweek516 likes this.
  13. Sokolov

Heck, if you are going to complain about "inconsistencies" you should be VERY HAPPY with this new version that prevents all forms of champion damage, instead of the old "attack" version with 10/20% and a minimum of X.

To understand what the old SL bonus did you had to know if a particular effect classified as an attack for the purposes of this ability, then calculate 10/20%, then do the proper rounding, and account for the minimum value, if needed.

(Also, your specific example of 20 damage vs Sonicbolt would actually deal LESS damage with the old SL bonus as it'd prevent 4 damage instead of 2).

In contrast, with the new bonus, all have you know ask is... "is the damage coming directly from a champion" and subtract 1/2 if yes. Easy and consistent.

14. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Nothing confusing there. Reflexes works against near-sighted champs, evasive against far-sighted champs. It's all about the optics, not the damage coming in.

15. Sokolov

Damn. Now we need an "identify vision" ability so we can tell which champs are near vs far sighted.

16. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

i guess you can put it on the doctor his upgrades kinda suck anyway.

Also @super71 i feel like you're just dumb and you try to justify it by saying that everyone is confused when it's just you.

No offence bro

17. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Super I feel like you're an idiot who should be castrated to prevent possible breeding

No offence bro

Tweek516 likes this.
  18. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Maybe this is a bit obvious but with the new sandblast ability and duration or the ability in addition to the base def and teh SL bonus the tankiness has been exaggerated but maybe the problem isnt the SL bonus but sandblast cuz that with drain vitality and stuff that last for 4 - 6 turns add up to an unhappy ending when you take a champ out of the equation with those spells/abilities.

19. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Also to your point about sonic bolt... if it has evasive maybe attacking it from range to kill it isnt the smartest thing to do. Thats like saying pincushion takes no damage when I attack it from range and being confused about it xD

Also a spell like planar dissonance literally shits on the rune and this is the way pox is... some Bane Shift just hard counters you. Draksars vs FW, Minotaurs vs planar dissonance , archers vs arrow eaters.

Take away message... Bane Shift is fine as is, and there is a nice icon named uninstall.exe that Ive heard will solve all your problems ;)

20. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

You're right that sandblast is the problem - it's affect is too powerful.

-3 dmg is huge, bigger than -2 of depression which actually requires your champion to be up close and personal.
    6 turns duration is way too long, allows permanent application from just a single sand spray champion
    AoE is 1 larger than other bombs for no explicable reason

nepyonisdead likes this.