What to do with verbal abuse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RainElf, Mar 15, 2014.

1. RainElf

RainElf The King of Potatoes

I started to play this game after a pause of 2 years. As long as I remember game always started with "GL" or "have fun" and ended up with "GG" even if we don't mean it. But now every few games I get "you worthless piece of Bane Shift", "I hope you die", "I hope you get cancer", "you faking idiot" and similar.

My question is, how do I report players like that and do they get banned?

2. undred

undred Devotee of the Blood Owl

haters gonna hate . just ignore if they cant beat you they dont diserve your attention

3. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Screenshot it and report it. I once managed to get someone chatbanned for a while for telling me he wished that my daughter would die of cancer.

4. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

It happens to everyone. I like to have a discussion with them. Sometimes they rage and sometimes the calm down and we can actually talk.

Example 1: Funny
    him: Your deck sucks! noob jerk
    me: Why does my deck suck?
    him: OP junk noob. And you spam loser
    me: Well I have 3 commons and 1 rare on the board while you have 2 leg and 1 exo so please tell me how my runes are OP? Also, spam is classically defined as playing two of the same spell in a row, I haven't done that.
    him: #$%hole loser GET A LIFE rage...rage...rage
    me: nice
    him: rage...rage...rage...rage...rage...

Example 2: Calms down
    him: Your deck sucks! noob jerk
    me: Why does my deck suck?
    him: You use OP junk. And you spam
    me: Well I have 3 commons and 1 rare on the board while you have 2 leg and 1 exo so please tell me how my runes are OP? Also, spam is classically defined as playing two of the same spell in a row, I haven't done that.
    him: It's those Crusaders, they get too much damage and def too fast. That's OP. And you used RD twice this game.
    me: Yeah, the Crusader can get crazy but if you hit him hard early you can prevent the damage and def boost. Also, using RD twice four turns apart is not spam.
    him: But what if I can't kill him that fast?
    me: then try to not engage him until you have your counter in place. And maybe run some champs with bombs or cones or strike. That will help.

Of course these are oppisite ends of the spectrum but you get my point. I have had both of these conversations and everything in between.

gl and hf!

5. mario75

mario75 The King of Potatoes

in my opinion, if you decide to play you need to know how to lose - it is very simple!
    often when I make wrong moves concede the victory but I'm not angry (if not with myself)

6. mario75

mario75 The King of Potatoes

in any case HF, GL and GG are always a must!

Ballballer likes this.
  7. RainElf

RainElf The King of Potatoes

Hatters gonna hate I agree, but wishing to somebody die like in BansheeX and mine case its not normal.

8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

./ignore add [name]

Report if you fancy

9. FLASHBEAR

FLASHBEAR The King of Potatoes

I don't mind raging, I actually find it funny.
    Ragequitters on the other hand... How hard is it to press surrender?

10. BansheeX

Reporting is actually more impotent than ignoring. That way they potentially will be punished and wont abuse new players

11. ZexuZai

ZexuZai Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Yes there is a report button, yes there is a tab to move from the chat window. But if that person is prone to rage he is prone to disrupting many games and chasing off many new players.

Bad communities can be a game killer. Lets be honest... The majority of people AREN'T ignoring players. They get their feelings hurt and complain and then people complain at them for not doing this or that.

Fact of the matter is, if we had a report function, which at least muted the player, or gave him some color like games give to say, team killers, people could be wary of them and ignore them or not chat to them at all. Yeah, I get some people are going to complain of alienation. But ya know what, if you're going to be a little &%$#@, you deserve what you get.

Mnrogar likes this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Is she alright now?

I usually do "hello, Good Luck and Have Fun" then I don't like it if they remain quiet so i start trash talking the style of their BG's if its 99% green and purple, or make lame puns.

if they say hello and likewise back I stay friendley, cause that usually means they're alright :D

13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i tend to either ignore my ragers or calmly talk with them as though we're debating, pointing out logical flaws in their arguments etc

i tend to be laughing either way

14. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

If they talk, and they are losing, they embarrass themselves, don't worry about that.
    If they talk, and they are winning, that's bad, but know that these people often think they are going to win and talks, and they end losing and ashamed in the ranked lobby.

15. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I had to make an alt because when I'm on Covah I tend to rage. But it's okay, I almost never talk **** on my alt.

16. only

only Active Member

I tend to avoid any trashtalking. especially, if it is related to skill. sometimes I write something funny after a match, but people take it very offensively. I do not blame them and then I remember why I don't do that.

yesterday, I won against a guy and said that it was simply the easiest game of my life. he got mad. today I lost against the same person, I didn't even remember him, but after the match he went "full mode" with repeating that phrase I said. I knew he was upset yesterday and probably still raging today so that victory meant something for him. I guess if raging on me makes other persons happy -- just go ahead.

eitherway, I noticed that I rarely get smacktalk after match no matter what. I guess it's double edged sword. I don't flame others, people don't flame me. balance is achieved?

as minidragon stated in his interview, pox is a game, where everyone can win against anyone. maybe once. maybe twice, but you will eventually hit it. when it comes to similar class (skillwise) players, I would feel ashamed if insult someone's skill even if I won't be able to win against him.

I guess it should be seperated into two parts. random trashtalking like between "unknown" players, mostly saying absolutely stupid things and that one "etilist" mode. when don't considering someone being as skilled as you and if you lose to him, you feel the need to "explain" that defeat.

17. only

only Active Member

why is it junkfood and trashtalking? why not junktalking and trashfood?

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Just to be sure there is a diffirence between smacktalking about frilly princesses(KF),snowhumpers (ST) and dorfs( IS) and the purplegreen family of players and "Tlkin liek dis lol you mad loser bro, you cockridin ghey", the second is what needs to die.

does your god forbid interaction with fellow sufferers of the human condition?

19. BansheeX

Thank you for asking :)
    She is fine and well.

Mnrogar and Geressen like this.
  20. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

It would be nice if everyone were nice. But in EVERY gaming community there's trash talking.