Why are fairies a total joke now as a theme

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by super71, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Keep in mind that all the Fairies fly (except Nymph) and so probably have 6-7 nora added to their base costs just for that reason. They have excellent mobility and pay for it.

2. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

Seems like most KF themes got a boost from the revamp. Especially trees, beasts, elves, and archers. Even rangers are playable now. Fairies, unfortunately, seem to be the odd man out.

3. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

Starlight Sylph. End of thread.

4. Xirone

She's crazy because Starlight is bugged. She looks perfectly fine for her cost (assuming Starlight is fixed soon).

5. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

Starlight is not bugged... It was just a huge mistake and an oversight, but it works as the description says it should.

6. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

This may be an example of why costing everything strictly based on abilities without regard for the overall unit or theme is a bad thing. What's the point of having an expensive-ish flying unit if it does 7 damage per shot against an average-DEF unit? I would rather pay 10 less nora for a ground unit who does almost twice as much damage per swing.

Fae currently rely too heavily upon Nature's Wrath and Soften, both of which cost a lot of nora (directly or indirectly). That's just my observation.

Create an ability called "Fragile Wings"

Fragile Wings
    This champion is Flying while its HP is above 25% of its Max HP (rounded up)."
    Keep it really cheap by making it a dual-edged ability instead of treating Fae like they're Bok -- because they aren't Bok.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Ginx, DarkJello and StupidJerk like this.
  7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

That is a Firking brilliant idea. Reminds me of the new tortun shell. Flavorful with counterplay. Awesome idea @Gedden - you see this one mate?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    allyorbase likes this.
  8. Xirone

FYI, Flying does not grant Sentry. Champions with Flight have Sentry.

9. Xirone

I've tried to make the Fae work and, in spite of the good ones, they don't work together nearly as well as they did before (which, I know, can be said of most themes). Before, the Fae relied on their tricks to overcome their abysmal HP:NORA ratios. Now, it seems like they have fewer tricks and have slightly worse HP:NORA ratios. This probably pushed them over the edge. I'll be thinking up some simple ways to bring the Fae back (honestly, it shouldn't take that much).

Fragile Wings could be a good start as far as bringing their HP:NORA ratio back down.

10. Xirone

Here's my take on how to revamp the theme. This was just a very preliminary pass. I'll update it later.

Chained Fae- No changes needed.
    Conclave Warden- Loses Foment from base. Gains Book Burn on base.
    Fae Enchantress- +2 DMG on base. Loses Deploy Prismatic Crystals and Fairy Dust from base. Gains Foment and Charming Attacks* on base. Council: Spells added to first upgrade path.
    Fae Oracle- Charm 1/2/3 upgrade path replaced with Bounce or Divert.
    Fairy Trickster- Hex 1 replaces with Hex 2 on upgrades.
    Moonlit Fae- No changes needed. With that said, currently, Numerous is triggering the correct HP boost on the Faeguard Nullbeast.
    Nectar Fairy- Loses Heal Charged 2 from upgrades. Supercharged 2 added to upgrades. Add Charge added to base (to help with Fairy Trickster).
    Nymph- RNG reduced from 3-5 to 4-5. Flourish moved from upgrades to base. Amplify Psychic and Resistance: Psychic removed from base. Second upgrade path changed to Bastion of Will/Grant: Flight/Amplify Psychic.
    Nectar Fairy- No changes needed.
    Snare Fairy- No changes needed.
    Sprite- No changes needed.
    Starlight Sylph- No changes needed assuming Starshine has been brought into line.
    Sun Blossom- +2 HP.
    Wisp- No changes needed.

*Charming Attacks is the Charm version of Frightful Blows.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. allyorbase

Thanks. I can't believe I left that off like a total dingus.

Fragile Wings
    This champion is Flying and has two additional ranks of Sentry while its HP is above 25% of its Max HP (rounded up).

I really like the overall change to Enchantress -- although Foment would then be more expensive than it is now, which affects pacing for the theme... is that a good thing?

12. zorbot

zorbot The King of Potatoes

Fae were never particularly strong. Only particularly strong with certain maps, draws, and matchups. When I first saw them, I thought that was easily the weakest theme in KF. After playing them, I can confirm that. Further nerfing Chained Fae was kind of hilarious and with Oracle being only a shade of her former glory there is nothing as it stands to make the theme at all viable. Although, Faeguard looks pretty badical now. Silver lining, I suppose.

13. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

think about that for a second

14. Xirone

I was thinking that it would be better for the theme to put Foment on something that can stay away from battle and do its thing (instead of on one of the few Fairy beaters). Fae Enchantress was the one that seemed to need the biggest redesign. Is there a better target for Foment? And interesting idea would be to put it on Nature's Balance (the relic).

15. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Sun Blossom (as originally suggested) was an Attack Fire, Detection, Foment champ, which is why I loved the idea.

As it stands she has a fairly neat build and I don't see it happening, but I thought I'd mention that.

allyorbase likes this.
  16. Xirone

That's right, you came up with the idea for that champ, right? Wasn't she also meant to be a Fairy, Plant? Sun Blossom could be a good target for Foment (as long as it doesn't increase her cost too much).

allyorbase likes this.
  17. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Actually, I thought it was one of yours... Wasn't mine. Must be someone else's.

Man... we must be getting old or something. :D

Etherielin, Sirius and DarkJello like this.
  18. allyorbase

+1 for Foment on Sun Blossom, in place of Grant: Magical Aura upgrade. A choice between Burn and Foment seems fair.

While we're on the subject: I'd love it if Warden lost Ensnare and got... anything else as an option there. Arcane Dance, Weaken Spells, or Ignorance (etc.)... something related to blocking the arcane. Xirone had suggested Book Burn at base, even.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Sirius likes this.
  19. Xirone

Ensnare is a weaker version of Mental Net that costs about the same. It would be nice if that were changed for something else.

allyorbase likes this.
  20. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

It's been stated and restated, but why not do it again? I would also like to see Ensnare replaced with Book Burn/Weaken Spells/Arcane Dance/Ignorance.

allyorbase likes this.