Buying PoxNora...The (NOT SO) Final Post->Read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

1. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think that was what he was trying to do with Conquest, but I think that is harder than it seems.

Sure, you could directly copy Pox rules and layout for Pox 2 but so much would be different.

Firstly the amount of runes would be a fraction of current pox - this would alter the gameplay. People forget that pox was originally released with a much more complex levelling system and no factions - simply because it needed to compensate for the low variety in tune choice.

Secondly, the world it is being released into is very different. Indy games get zero publicity just by existing. Games with 2D graphics are going to have to ‘do’ (not necessarily ‘be’) something special to get PC players to spend time on them.

I would love to think that Pox 2 could trade on it’s name to bring in people, but I think that wouldn’t be enough to create an instant player base anymore.

Bondman007 and aseryen like this.
  2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I was under the impression that he would be coming back to Pox 1 and modernizing it instead of creating a whole new game. But a Pox 2 does make more sense, since the backend framework of Pox 1 is so terribly outdated (doesn't it still run on Java?). Since the image posted very clearly features Weaponsmith, I assume they'll be transposing a lot of the old artwork into Pox 2; they still own it after all, so why not use it instead of commissioning expensive new art. And if that's the case, I'm sure there will be no shortage of content, since they'll want to copy over as many of the old runes as possible.

Also, who's to say that Pox 2 will be a 2-D game? I can definitely imagine a 3-D Pox 2 with a hex grid system, rotatable map, and more animated champion sprites. Or maybe it will be similar to Divinity 2 and look more like an RPG. It might not even be a turn-based game at all; it might end up being an RTS game where you use your shrine like a base to create champions and cast spells.

As for the playerbase, it goes without saying that anyone playing current Pox will want to try out the improved version. And if the game is any good, we can use Sok's discord to recruit all the old players who left the game but stuck around for the social aspect. The great thing about Pox 1 was that it always had a loyal, tight-knit playerbase. Us still being here after all this time is proof of that. If any of the old vets hear about a well-done Pox 2 project, they'll at least give it a shot. After that, it depends on how well the game is advertised. One of the downfalls of Pox 1 was how poorly it was marketed. Hopefully Daggan and co. have learned from their mistakes since then.

aseryen likes this.
  3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

We can but hope.

soulmilk and Fentum like this.
  4. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Gonna have to reel you WAY in here Jazzy. The current, and only, rumor so far is that there may be a Pox Nora BOARD game. There was no mention of doing anything digital at all. Now, a Pox 2 may well be in the works, but even @Sokolov said that all he's heard at the moment is that non-virtual products are in the works. Hence, the Pox Nora board game...

5. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

This is similar to the prototype I'm working on; Unreal - Stadia driven PoxGo2.XYO, Digital Assets set in Poxanthuru featured through varying game perspectives, and rather than a single grid system I have an Open Grid/Matrix - this is my take on the node systems and iteration processes that are being developed. Should also help merge some procedural content with emergent driven stuff I want to bring out. Biggest hurdle right now is mapping out a character builder, thinking back on some of my old prototypes is making my head spin. This is why I suggest watching the GDC talk on Keyforge by Fantasy Flight Games; good insight. Also Grinding Gear Games GDC talk on Path of Exile blends the two worlds together that PoxNora and its owners have always struggled for.

Server(s) Online:Offline
    Player Account:Character Account
    LOADOUT:party
    Race:Class
    ERA:Faction
    Perspective:Genre

Champions, our Conquest!

JazzMan1221 likes this.
  6. JazzMan1221

Well that's a bit disappointing...........but I'll still buy it lol. And it might even end up being a better way of presenting the game. I could definitely see a Poxnora board game akin to Warhammer with movable pieces, expansion packs with new pieces and map variations, etc. Looking forward to it!

Bondman007 likes this.
  7. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

The game exists and is called Mage Wars.

8. ElCamaleoncito

ElCamaleoncito The King of Potatoes

A new PoxNora game would be wonderful.
    I have not played PoxNora in years, but I started playing at the beginning, when there were far fewer runes and the game was easier.

I think the game became too complex for new players. And that there are too many skills and effects. In the end people are only using to play 10% of the runes, the rest being totally inefficient.

If you make a new game of poxnora my advice is as follows:

That at first there should be few runes and only a part of the factions and races. But they must define the strategy very clearly. And later you can add the rest of factions and races.

The new game should have well-defined classes: Priest, Warrior, Paladin, Druid ... (maybe copying the 9 WoW classes would be fine)
    And races.
    All champions should have only one race and class.

The number of types of damage should be reduced, now there are too many. For example, poison, disease and electricity could be grouped into "Nature" damage.

The creatures should have resistances and weaknesses according to their race. For example, all Jakei should have some kind of cold resistance. All elementals some kind of resistance to damage nature, and so everything ...

In short, if they do Pox nora again, they should go little by little and define everything well. So that the decks can be varied and competitive. Based on race, class or type of damage.

A greeting.

aseryen likes this.
  9. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I would LOVE a modern iteration of Poxnora blending with an orgy of XCOM 2/Space Hulk- Tactics/FFtactics... Smaller decks but still turn/grid based strategic gameplay but likely needing to be sped up for modern gamers. Possibly a Hero/Leader unit with a 5 team squad (type of units based on leader chosen) with 3 "specials/wildcards" (spells/equipment/persistents basically)

aseryen and badgerale like this.
  10. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I also think us recognizing the artwork in that image as Poxnora artwork is not something they wish to broadcast too much... they likely hope we just quietly nod about it as crusty pox vets since the new project likely has nothing to do with Poxnora or it's old playerbase specifically and will just draw attention to the fact they are re-using old AF art assets. Just saying...

aseryen likes this.
  11. JazzMan1221

Man, now I'm curious: how would Poxnora look as an RTS game, similar to the Warhammer - Total War series? We'd have to severely trim down the number of runes, but you could keep some of the same mechanics. You'd have a starting shrine where you'd create your first units, maybe throw in some city-builder aspects drawing on the relatively untouched Poxnora lore, and play out combat on an open field rather than a strict grid, fighting over fonts you come across on the map selected at game start. There would be potential for multiplayer, not just a 1v1, which is an idea Pox fans have brought up now and then. Or you could play through versions of the campaigns that are currently on the client. And if speeding things up is necessary, you could always use smaller maps, or even allow for modding of the maps yourself. The deckbuilding aspect could still be there via a pre-game menu where you would select whichever units you'd want your shrine to produce, and those units could be upgraded with pre-selected skills, in addition to their natural skills, which they would utilize in real-time combat, cooldowns and all.

aseryen likes this.
  12. aseryen

Definitely looking in the same direction here; the Gambit system in FFXII has been a favorite of mine - so many great mechanics that in some form would play a huge role in a modern Pox.

Yes, here we go. Looks like we are getting into a similar head space here. Just made some videos explaining some of the basic template systems; definitely agree some of that fat needs to be trimmed in a sense.
    ---------------------------------------------
    52 Races
    18 Classes
    8 of 2 Factions (Wrath/Protectorate)
    -----------------------------------------------

My friends have told me what I'm mostly explaining is a Soulslike system (it's not, maybe kinda, they aren't familiar with PoE) super imposed on some of the dungeon builders and various game modes. Dynasty Heroes in the sense you can play a champion and actively progress the storyline but at the same time stay in one area and just kill wave after wave of respawning enemies.

First Dungeon builder I played was Dungeon Empires which shut down years ago; but that is a basic system I'm coming from.

Well, I will upload those videos this weekend, very abstract but I wanted to get some thoughts down on video specifically for those of you that want to discuss game loops and how we can all develop the game. Let me know, I'd like to keep the community involved rather than sniping your good ideas.

13. Fentum

I would never play such a game.

The turn based nature of Pox is a key differentiator in a world full of poor RTS games.

aseryen likes this.
  14. JazzMan1221

That assumes the Pox RTS would be poor by default. What if it was a well-made RTS?

aseryen likes this.
  15. JazzMan1221

Good to see you're involving the community so much in your development process. I'll probably watch the videos today or tomorrow at some point when I have time. Keep plugging away!

aseryen likes this.
  16. Fentum

I don't think my comment assumed that. 'NewPox' could be a well designed RTS but I still wouldn't fancy it as I really enjoy turn based strategy.

aseryen likes this.
  17. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

I think @Fentum is like me. I prefer TBS vs RTS. I like LoL but am not an avid fan. The turn based nature of games is a big draw for me also...

Now, that being said, I could handle a "hybrid" TBS/RTS like what a lot of the RPG genre games use for combat. Like Baldur's Gate and such. The new Pathfinder: Kingmaker is also one such game that uses the TBS "pause" system in its combat. Now, I could probably handle that...

aseryen likes this.
  18. aseryen

Turn based is still going to be a driving economy/stratagem however there are different subsets of genres that are permitted. Stadia is a good example of what to expect; although this has been feasible with Unreal Engine for some time, just not iterated upon from what I've seen.

I've been told over the years to check these games out and because of the overlap I have kept my eye out of their development path although, I've certainly heard a lot about them; I have only seen a little bit of gameplay but I agree the pacing and certain elements have a nice touch to them. Stadia imo hasn't been taken into consideration with a lot of the gaming industry; it's new and novel but a lot of what the industry standard lately has been is to excessively bound a loop imo to distill the best argument for IP and any kind of legal jargon you want to throw around. That being said, the fly on the wall/hole in the wall game loop is going to get over done in a lot of genres and this is where Pox has a time to shine. Think Epcot and the whole of Orlando, Florida and greater rather than - "I paid for my ticket to Disneyworld and the fun stops when I stand in line or leave this place."

Trying to do my best, always good to get my head out of prototyping and involved; however I usually feel like I'm slighting the design process by interacting. Maybe this is a common feeling when it's a passion project which is why I've tried to put content together in some context rather than staying silent.

19. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

I would buy the PoxNora Board Game! I saved all the runes and sprites and have included it in a personal Fantasy Grounds (fantasygrounds.com) module to use in a future D&D campaign. I thought something like this would be fun.