Double-standard much?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JazzMan1221, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/23/health/college-course-white-controversy-irpt-trnd/

Now imagine if they created a course entitled: "The Problem With Blackness". Think the backlash would be of similar caliber? Hells no, it would be 10,000 times worse. I mean this just sounds like a class trying to teach people that people who are white should feel bad for being white.

Meanwhile the university thinks a course like this actually challenges racism. But with a title like "The Problem of Whiteness" we're supposed to believe that?

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Make America great again

DarkJello likes this.
  3. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I swear, if it weren't for double standards, some people wouldn't have any standards at all.

SireofSuns, Ohmin, TeaNinja and 3 others like this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Can't trust the mainstream media maaaaaan.

BurnPyro and SPiEkY like this.
  5. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I value liberals, it is the "liberals" that frequently advocate for bullying that I dislike.

6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

those are the easy ones to ignore. its the pseudo intellectuals posting like some kind of neo elite class that are the problem.

7. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

"Pseudo intellectual posting like some kind of neo elite class."

You just described yourself.

Tweek516, BurnPyro, TeaNinja and 2 others like this.
  8. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

The course title is odd, and definitely not the best choice. But that doesn't invalidate the content of the course. White privilege for example is a real thing.

Astamir and Geressen like this.
  9. DarkJello

Japanese privilege is real in Japan. Mexican privilege is real in Mexico. South African privilege is real in South Africa. Iranian privilege is real in Iran.

Rich privilege is real everywhere. Smart privilege is real everywhere. I guess, to be a decent human being, I must defeat rich and smart people??

SireofSuns likes this.
  10. TeaNinja

One key difference that you're missing between America and countries like Japan, when talking about Privilege, is the fact that countries like Japan are homogeneous, and America is the complete opposite. So your comparisons don't hold up.

11. DarkJello

I forgot a few privileges. Please add more as they spring to mind.

Beautiful. Wise. Handsome. Tall. Healthy. Male. Young. Old.

Is this privilege thing mostly about envy?

Is it a shakedown? Tell me how bad to feel and who to pay to be absolved of meanerness.

On social media, a lot of "white privilege" supporters also make overtly racist posts. Coincidence?

It is illegal in Mexico to change the demographics like we have done in America. Interesante, no?

12. TeaNinja

@DarkJello, you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't seem to understand what the term White Privilege even means. You have some misconception of it in your head based off these comparisons to beauty and wealth.

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

double standards are apart human nature but its annoying when people take it to the extreme.

14. DarkJello

Enlighten, por favor.

Here is a neat link:

http://metrocosm.com/animated-immigration-map/

All types of people continue to flow into America in spite of so many privileges.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  15. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Jelly white privilege also exists in homogenous countries like Japan and china.

My white friends are paid ridiculous amounts of money literally to turn up at an event and be white. They get paid more to teach english, get free drinks at bars etc. :)

16. DarkJello

In all honesty, I want to hear more about this. Nobody has ever paid me to show up at a bar and be white. Sounds amazing. Do tell.

17. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

It happens everywhere in china. If your bar has white people or foreigners in it you'll attract more locals. Where I currently am the two big nightclubs will give us a table on arrival (in the only not white person in my group of friends) where you would normally have to pay, free bottles of vodka (100% it's fake and not Smirnoff like the label says but it's free) we literally can go out and only have to pay for taxis. Chinese people on nearby tables send us fruit and other stuff etc so they can make foreign friends.

My buddy got paid 300rmb to sit at a schools Christmas show. She didn't say anything or teach etc.. just sat in the audience. It's kind of weird being a foreigner but looking more like a local I get treated differently :p but I steal all the free stuff my friends get so I'm not that hard done by! Everyone just assumes I can translate when I'm not the strongest at chinese in my group.

But yeah, I was recently on a 16 hour train journey, the Chinese couple opposite us wanted to practise english and ended up buying us dinner when we arrived at the destination cause the two girls I was with were white.

DarkJello likes this.
  18. TeaNinja

White Privilege is not said to make white people feel guilty about their privilege. It's not your fault you were born with white skin and experience these privileges. BUT, whether you realize it or not, you DO benefit from it, and it IS your fault if you don't maintain awareness of that fact.

Just a few of many examples of White Privilege:

• I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
    • When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
    • If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven’t been singled out because of my race.
    • I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
    • I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
    • I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.
    • If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.
    • I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.
    The list goes on and on and on. You can read the full list here, but this is just one essay written by one person, however it is a pretty decent list. You can replace class with race for some of the examples, so it's not a perfect list, but I sold my Intercultural Communcations textbook so this is the best I have without spending more time looking for better material for you to read.

Here's another good read on the topic, http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Astamir and DarkJello like this.
  19. TeaNinja

Cultural Imperialism is another topic you might find informative.

20. DarkJello

Some of the privileges I mentioned earlier tonight were also listed in the article. Self awareness about strengths and weaknesses is quite valuable. Luck, good or bad, certainly is a factor in degree of success and happiness. I accept that privilege in America exists, just as it does in one form or another around the globe. White is currently the most privileged race in MuriKa.

The article made multiple valid points, but the reference to a feminist was worrisome. Maybe I have just read too many articles by man hating feminists over the years. But I soldiered through in spite of the mild nausea. I am also somewhat turned off the concept by all the white hating minorities I have heard say "white privilege" as if it was a curse damning someone--at times me personally--to Hades. Because I am a stubborn cuss, I still think the privilege angle is worthy of consideration. Just wanted to share why this topic won't resonate as easily with me as compared to 1st Amend or 2nd Amend or legalization of dat weed.

I am interested to see if the current demographic trends are altered during the next decade. Most countries appear to have stable demographics. Which countries, if any, outside of The West are being diversified?

Most prosperous of 2017 to you and yours!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.