Grimlic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scrijordan, May 19, 2016.

1. Scrijordan

Scrijordan I need me some PIE!

WHen will you fix him or un nerf him or something man

2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

He lost part of his modifier, deal with it.

3. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Eh, he's sort of got the same problem Kartch had in that there's nothing really unique about him that makes him worthy of the "hero" title. The main problem is that his high range and base damage are jacking up his cost, so giving him new abilities will put him well into the 100s nora-wise. I'd say bump him down to 2-4 range, drop his damage by 2, add Scorn back to base, and replace Regen 2 with Fire Acolyte. Then change his U1 path to Fire Bomb 3, Annihilate, and Flamethrower. Lastly, change his U2 path to Flame Prison, Set Ablaze, and Deflect: Fire. This gives him some offensive and defensive options that better mark his status as a hero, with the potential to run him expensive or cheap.

Qucas and Scrijordan like this.
  4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I guess we could keep his stats the same, but with Acolyte being 10 nora I don't know if anyone would pay over 100 nora for Grimlic. Besides, I've always felt that his range was a bit out of place in UD.

EDIT: Just realized Acolyte is cheaper now. Doh....that's what I get for trusting PoxBase.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Even with Fire Acolyte some people would just see it as a sandbag in non-fire BGs.

6. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I don't really know why he lost scorn tbh. It makes more sense on him than any other unit. and he could definitely use the cost reduction to become a more playable rune.

7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I mean he's capable of making a big impact once he's out but when you compare him to other heroes of the same price range like juya, serkan or menalaus he's definitely the worst of the bunch.

8. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

making him 2-4 range is a terrible suggestion, not only would he still not get the full faction bonus but hed also be at a range that would shoebox nearly any ranged champ in the game.

the problem with grimlic and UD ranged units in general is that they are for the most part mediocre at best and dont even benefit from a full faction bonus. grimlics base damage is too high/cost him too much nora and fire bomb isnt necessary on grimlic at its current cost, he also pays nora for his close range fire attack thats pretty much worthless on a 4-6 range unit.

literally every UD ranged unit besides the le's are terrible.(partly because they are built poorly and partly because they dont receive a full faction bonus, unlike every other ranged unit in the game)

I made a list of UD's ranged units a while ago and provided solutions to make them more effective but they were ignored. goblin archer is probably even worse than it was now that its only 4-5 range instead of 4-6.(and still for some reason 0 def and 32hp)

the relocation nerfs also hit UD harder than any other faction in the game. Overall UD and FW have suffered greatly in many ways over the past year even tho there have also been positive changes made.(FW has been in limbo for the majority of the time since at least geddins revamp and UD has been on a steady decline)

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Deception gave Grimlic a way to cleanse. With the expansion of the de'lim story to KF I do not see Grimlic a being an out cast of KF, rather, I see Grimlic as a hero that chose to lead the deep elf in the separation. Purified, blessed, a rank of flame nova as up grade 2 choices. Also: Grimilic of k'thir to become a UD hero or KF hero (Dual ff hero leaving split faction to Ash), and a re-release to celebrate. Grim'thir dose not appear younger, rather Grim'thir appears as Grimilic dose. I see Grim'thir more as Legend rune. Child of K'thir, departs, only to return the children of K'thir. (Deep elf)

10. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

I want to like Grimlic, but he's just too expensive. I really don't see why he lost Scorn.

But, even aside from that, he just doesn't bring much. He has fire. And more fire. And then some more fire. That's it. That's all he can do.

Compare him to Serkan. Let's say that Grimlic has Fire Bomb 3 and Flame Nova 1, and Serkan has Frost Cone 3 and Vengeful.

This puts Serkan at 2 nora more. They have the same speed, range and hp, though Serkan has +1 armour over Grimlic and Grimlic has +2 DMG over Serkan.

In terms of abilities, Grimlic has:
    Attack: Fire.
    Fire Bomb 3
    Flame Nova 1
    Regen 2
    Hero

Serkan has:
    Attack: Electricity
    Frost Cone 3
    Vengeful
    Life Siphon
    Teleport
    Hero

So, Serkan brings 2 different damage types to the table and, whilst his base damage is lower, Vengeful gives him a way to gain damage over the course of the game (it also ties in well with FW's theme bonus). I think it's fair to say that Serkan also has better healing, even before you consider Vengeful and other damage boosts. Regen is perhaps more consistent, but 4hp per turn is pretty low - especially for a champion with no other defences. And, after all that, Serkan has Teleport to enhance his mobility and escape potential. Grimlic's Flame Nova may occasionally be useful, but it requires that a range champion be too close to an enemy to even attack. And, if you want it to deal decent damage, you need to add yet more points to an already overcosted champion.

Finally, Serkan has other options. If you don't want Frost Cone, you can have Weary or Cripple instead. if you don't want Vengeful, you have the option of Surge: Lich or Defensive Strike. With Grimlic, your only option is what rank of Fire Bomb and Flame Nova you want.

It's the same story with other heroes. Bliss has less damage, but much better self-healing, as well as bringing stuff like Forest Front, Creativity and Empathy. Juya brings Declare Target and potentially Blockade (or some Regen, if you prefer) as well as either Piercing Shot or Savage Exploit.

Put simply, most other heroes bring something else to the table - versatility, movement, buffs, escalating damage etc. Grimlic brings none of that. All he has is some damage at an excessive cost.

Alakhami likes this.
  11. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

serkan is awesome and you dont take frost cone on him its a sandbag. the only issue with serkan is that he doesnt receive a faction bonus because fw has none, otherwise hed be as strong as menalaus.

grimlic is much less efficiently built(has high base damage which is expensive and 2 sandbags) he also only receives half a faction bonus.

the only 2 decent ranged units in UD are pox renovator which is barely above average and ud harb(the only strong ranged unit in UD)

arrow eater could also use a rework or nerf/cost reduction. complete range immunity is stupid and it also cost a ton of nora.

12. vipoid

I picked Frost Cone just to make him as close as possible to Grimlic. Out of interest though, do you run him with Cripple or Weary?

It's a little sad that FW's faction bonus doesn't help non-expendable champs. But at least Serkan has Vengeance, so he can benefit from other champions dying.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

cause there barely were any and he wanted to make them not suck as a theme while not putting much effort into a racial of sorts?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  14. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

cripple is stronger. Even expendable champs barely benefit from fw's faction bonus, they already have short cd's to begin with. going from a 5 turn cd to a 3turn cd while still having to pay full nora cost is hardly beneficial. The ST and IS font bonus are arguably stronger than the FW faction bonus imo.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

upload_2016-5-21_22-3-2.png

16. Sokolov

He lost Scorn because I don't like Scorn on him. It's a meaningless drawback whose entire purpose is to give negative nora on the champ and make him cheaper - especially, on a Hero who already have all negative modifiers it's pretty dumb.

I can see if I can give him more interesting upgrades, but one should also keep in mind that Grimlic is a very old champion, and when he was released, UD had little range and a high DMG, high RNG champion in UD was great, especially in the fire theme. What's also funny about the comments Re: Flame Nova is that at one time people complained about how Grimlic wrecks you from range, then you gap close and he Flame Novas your face anyway.

The loss of Deception is unfortunate, and I'd like to reintroduce something along those lines that isn't causing game crashes in the future. But I do not have plans to make Grimlic something completely different than what he is.

BurnPyro and PhdNiceGuy like this.
  17. Sokolov

It's really a situation where people want him be more OP'd and have more stuff but at the same time no one would want to pay for it.

But yes, like Kartch and some of the other OLD Heroes from that era, they have less dramatic abilities. Remember, the counterpart of Kartch was Lich King, not Serkan. Both were simply long-ranged champions with Mobility.

But anyway, I think fixing his upgrade lines will go a long way to help make him feel less blah, as it did with Kartch.

I do like putting Purified on him for now as a "replacement" for Deception's use to Cleanse.

OriginalG1 and BlazBlue like this.
  18. Sokolov

Note: Scorn does matter on CERTAIN kinds of champs in theory to keep them from endlessly stalling games out, but it's not really a good idea as a negative modifier.

19. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I know this is a bit of a preoccupation of mine, but purified on wrath seems really bad flavour.

20. vipoid

That would be understandable if Grimlic was already efficient and Scorn made him too efficient. Instead, we have a champ who's now waaaay overcosted for what he brings to the table.

Honest question here - what exactly is Grimlic paying for? He seems insanely expensive for a champ with so few abilities (two of which are piddling to begin with).

Also, perhaps he could have the option of trading abilities? e.g. give people an option to replace Fire Bomb and/or Flame Nova, rather than just changing their respective levels.