Is exertion the worst upgrade ability in the game now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by claydude5, Jun 16, 2015.

1. claydude5

claydude5 The King of Potatoes

So we have 3 ranges

Exertion 1: This champion loses 8 HP and gains 1 AP. This ability begins on CD. 1 nora

Exertion 2: This champion loses 8 HP and gains 2 AP. This ability begins on CD. 2 nora

Exertion 3: This champion loses 8 HP and gains 3 AP. This ability begins on CD. 3 nora

So you essentially get xap every 2 rounds for 8 hp at a cost of x nora.

Exertion has the same hp cost regardless of level or ap generated so exertion 1 is flat out horrible while exertion 3 is decent. But now with it beginning on cooldown, exertion is just a crappy version of ready that instead takes up an upgrade path on almost every unit it is on.

With things like regeneration or DoTs, I feel like I have to weigh my choices when upgrading, with exertion I select 3 or don't run the rune at all.

Of the runes with exertion mixed in with other upgrades, literally none of them run exertion over the other choices, simply due to the fact it is suicidal and not very helpful.

Please buff exertion, I feel like anytime it is on a rune now it is a waste of an upgrade.

Don't even get me started on elsari bazaar,bonesplitter maul, or execution order when you broke those three runes by needlessly nerfing exertion. What the hell was so broken with exertion that the ability needed to be nerfed and not the rune abusing it?

2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Maybe at least consolidate it so that Exertion isn't ranked (and always gives 3 AP)?

Anyway, I actually approved of making it start on CD, I'm just not sure it needed to also be CD 2 as well. The main problem with it not starting on CD was that you could first turn take close fonts on maps that had them, and thus mandated running a bunch of Exertion and/or Initiative to counter that if going second.

To say nothing of issues with effectively 9/10/11 SPD guys grabbing the middle font instead of the close font (sometimes both). Of course, that could(has?) become less of an issue with further new maps in the rotation.

EDIT: On further thought, I guess that's why it needs to be CD2, if just CD 1, the 9/10/11 lunge for a "far away" mid font would still be an issue. Still some problems on that front of course, but not as much as there would be. *Sigh* Maybe once all the maps are fixed that could be changed?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    chickenpox2 likes this.
  3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

why was exertion nerfed? lol.

4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I think the HP costs should scale up with rank. Perhaps something like 3/6/9 HP for ranks 1/2/3 respectively. It would be a very slight nerf to rank 3, but a sizable buff to the other two ranks, making them more appealing upgrade choices. Other than that I don't think Exertion needs any changes. Having it start on CD is mandatory IMO to prevent draw-wins, though the issue of what its CD should be is more debatable. Tbh it depends on what champion its on; something with self-healing would obviously benefit more, as would champions with Tormented, Blood Frenzy, etc. while other champions would feel the HP loss of higher ranks more. That said though, Exertion is still powerful, and such "free" AP abilities should be given in moderation.

SPiEkY, Netherzen, JaceDragon and 3 others like this.
  5. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

nora cost to 0/2/4
    Hp loss to 4/6/8
    CD to 1

claydude5 likes this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

RIP SL equips

SPiEkY and Anima26 like this.
  7. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

worst in the game? idk. I mean, Conduit rank 2 does exist. But yeah rank 1 always seemed just terrible to me and rank 3 used to be good but now seems kinda just like a worse bloodrage

8. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

<3 oh jazzman

chickenpox2 likes this.
  9. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

ah when soulbleeder was OP and won me games by itself.

10. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

fify

claydude5 likes this.
  11. Revengercm

stop changing stuff skrub

12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Soulbleeder is still pretty good. I predict it will see a decent amount of play when maxx decks are out of style.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

maxx will never be out of style mate.

SPiEkY and Revengercm like this.
  14. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Draw winning and because someone hated bonesplitter maul I guess

Ohmin likes this.
  15. Revengercm

I'm using them along with soulthirster (needs to be mutant) in a mutant race bg but I'll doubt they will ever make synergy with themselves.

16. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Replace Exertion upgrades with Rend.

17. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

draw wins by ap haven't been a common occurrence since the new map rotations.

18. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Haven't paid attention to the chronology of nerfs and haven't seen the new maps enough to figure out the deploying meta, but any font spaced 8 or more spaces from the shrine has drawwin potential via apgen. Dunno how many that is currently, it used to be on a significant portion of maps.

19. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- It never felt right. It should not have 3 levels in it's current state. It should just have exertion or not...and tweak it from there.

Ohmin likes this.
  20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It was all a conspiracy against Blood Fiend. He was just too good.

Netherzen likes this.