Make IS pass chasms impassable terrain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I don't miss Jellibrium

2. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

The point you are missing is, you can play pox for a theme, or for winning no matter what. IF in your eyes skywings are OP and other SL is bad, then either play a stronger deck or quit complaining and enjoy your theme.

3. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

If a map is granting to much of a advantage to one type of champion then it may need to be tweaked.

Ohmin and Goyo like this.
  4. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

Amen

5. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Seems like most maps grant too much advantage to speedsters, esp those with exertion/init/reinforce... all the maps are either too small or have too short a distance between shrine and font or font and font.

Goyo likes this.
  6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Flight and Range have never felt costed appropriately in this game tbh. Basically right under boon of the undead as far as "wtf ..y is that free?"

7. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Pretty sure FW is paying for Boon with its subpar faction bonus.

8. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

The problem with the FW faction bonus is that on some champs it's just bad, and on other champs it's horrifically OP. How to balance that out, I do not know -- perhaps a scaled change in CD such that cheap champs don't cool down quite as fast, and expensive champs come off CD a bit faster??

9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Elves can get pretty close between Epochal Oasis, Wizard of the Ways, and Elven Strategist, and all the ones that naturally self-relocate. Also, there are full battlegroups with Leap, not as much range, but similar mechanically (and on that IS map specifically, there are plenty of "short-cuts" that Leap allows).

That's not what they were saying, and you should know that. Aside from that, it's not as if Flight doesn't have counters.

That said, I do think that many maps are somewhat poorly made, and overly favor specific deck-types, etc. FS Swamp for example does far too much to enhance Aquatics IMO (Amphibious as well to an extent, but not nearly as great a one). In the long run, this might balance out since maps in ranked play are random. However in the immediate it certainly can be frustrating (especially if you're already going second against someone with a favorable map or something, it makes that inherent positional advantage even more of an issue).

10. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Also the racial for the jellies more or less gives them a racial teleport.

11. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

I actually think such advantages/disadvantages (although frustrating) is quite interesting. kinda tells a story while u play. kind of. tho I hate ST/FS maps because they essentially get globally 1AP. But its interesting. But, frustrating. maybe enlarge the maps so fonts n shrines would be much farther than it is nw?

12. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

One of my favorite/least favorite mobility moves in on SP's map with Sonic Elemental. You go first and drop the sonic ele, then teleport him past the immediate chasm and towards the cliffs in the center. You can teleport from there into your opponent's first font, contesting it. From there, you either slow them down insanely, or just grab their second font.

RedScarlet likes this.
  13. RedScarlet

I always smile when I get an SP map versus an LE player using say, FW zombies. Its an interesting design how each map gives specific advantages to players using the said faction. I like how FW's map doesn't do much for them aside of zombobies not needing to run around so much, and Dread affecting one whole map.
    (on that same respect, putting down an Unholy Tomb in the large ST map is way better than being FW in FW map)

Paper Skull likes this.
  14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

That's exactly what he was saying.

Just like this. This is how Ryvirath used to watch the game. "Everything will be imbalanced, but everyone has the chance to play the most imbalanced stuff out there so just play that and the game becomes balanced".

This isn't dota2 were everything should be left stupidly broken and somehow pray balance is achieved because of it.

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I thought the small bridge was impassable, a wizard told me, he was grey, had a beard, was named ganda I think.

Yeah, pretty sure it was Ganda Elf.

Grand General Mosh likes this.
  16. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Fly, you fool!

We're discussing Flying here, not bridges!

17. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I always thought it was unfair to SL that the developers never made a giant desert map closely resembling the surface of the Dune planet arrakis. Every other faction gets a map representing their terrain except SL. Tar pits map is an insult to SL imo because no SL race has domain tar and we all know that dinosaurs died in tarpits. If a giant sandbox level is too boring you could add chasm spots hidden by sand and giant sarlacc pits.

RedScarlet likes this.
  18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

So one map gives one SL theme an advantage while flying champs have a better advantage on more maps? Flying also means that bgs with terraincontrol are less effective regardless of what map you're playing on.

19. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

The desert map could have sandstorm spaces that act like wind aura or lockdown ability.

20. RedScarlet

or permanent Sandblasted on everyone just to make it fun fun in the deadly sun