Poxnora Game Rules Documents -- Update # 2.1 and 1.3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, May 27, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Complete Rules 1.2 now out. Here's the changelog:

-Added section 4.1.2.3.1, which elaborates on the exact nature of 2x2 knockback damage.

-Added section 2.1.1.1.1 (with subsequent section movement), which covers the Hit Check in damage calculation.

-Updated wording in sections 2.1.1 and 2.1.1.1 to include new steps, no functional change.

-Updated 4.1.2.3 with more exact and accurate information regarding knockback damage on immobile, unobstructed units.

-Changed section 1.2.1.4, which incorrectly claimed that AoE attacks could have the “Successful” result type.

-Fixed a word-use error in section 2.2.1, in which something that wasn’t technically damage was called damage.

-Changed section 8.1.2.4 to section 8.1.3.1, to reflect that Force Barrier is not actually a terrain type but a terrain element that can modify type. Wording changed slightly to clarify this.

-Added an additional clause for clarity in section 4.2.1.1.1.

-Changed Appendix 3 to match visual scale of other chart appendices.

-Changed spacing and formatting on all chart appendices.

-Added a description to section A to make the function of that section more clear.

-Added additional clause in section 8.1.2.3 to clarify movement by swap effects.

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  2. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Any chance you can add sections on leveling up champions and the difference of game difficulty levels?

What does going from level 1 to level 2 or level 2 to level 3 do for a champion? I've noticed something about upgrades, but what if a champion doesn't have an ability upgrade? Do they get an increase in other values instead? They should to keep those champions viable to play.

What is the actual difference between 'normal', 'hard' and 'legendary' game difficulty levels? An obvious difference would be the amount of nora you or the AI get a turn, but is that the case? As far as the champions played by the AI, I noticed no difference in the beginner campaigns.

A good approach to developing these guides is to ask the questions a new player would ask in learning how to play the game.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I doubt I will ever mention single player or 2v2 unless there is some specific and pressing need. As for difficulty levels, those vary on a campaign-by-campaign basis and have no real pattern, at least from what I can discern.

Champions gain exactly what they list by leveling up: access to changing there abilities. There are no super-game elements that are currently WAI and not understandable directly through the UI. All champions have upgrade options in one form or another except for Anthropomancer. If something does come of a guide to these elements, it will be separate from the rules documents here -- they fulfill two different functions. What it sounds like you're looking for is more akin to a tutorial.

4. ghklf

ghklf I need me some PIE!

great job, and one question, how does Bolt work or where can I find how it works in the documents?

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's a relocation effect, follows those rules. If something says a unit is "relocated" it follows section 4.

ghklf likes this.
  6. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Why bother having the different difficulty levels unless they impact the game in some way? I did notice I got 200gp as a reward by winning a skirmish which is the same as winning a beginner campaign battle on hard difficulty. I don't recall being able to change the difficulty level of a skirmish though like I could the campaign.

WAI and UI?? File not found. I hope you're old enough to know or know the DOS syntax.

A good tutorial is very helpful, but I wasn't thinking of that. The questions about how to play the game posed by new members in these forums seem to me to be good topics to cover in a manual. I know from personal experience at work writing a good user guide is not easy and I appreciate the effort here.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

"Working as Intended" and "User Interface."

The difficulty levels do influence the game, usually by giving the AI champions with more stats, or more champions. That's about as specific as I know, though.

8. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Too good to be true.

9. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Hi Kal, how does Heretic Shackle works?
    Tried to search for it in the complete one but couldn't find it, thanks!

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's a bit of a mess. As for the actual rules it follows, it uses the relocation rules in section 4, but the complete rules don't go rune-by-rune -- that would just be an insane amount of work. Here, however, is a link to a thread where some people, including myself, talk about how it functions: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...description-so-bad-that-ive-misread-it.16168/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    hfok likes this.
  11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Don't worry about Heretic Shackle, it is being changed.

12. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

this is actually a really good pdf, I remember reading something similar when I first started playing magic.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Putting out a small update to the Primer. Going to do some more testing today to work out a couple more outstanding issues in the complete rules, spec. terrain macro-types, relocation interactions with stealth, and appropriate references when a unit has multiple basic attacks. Here are the few changes to the primer:

-Added section 2, with subsections 2.a and 2.b, (with subsequent section movement), which list information on Shrines and Fonts

-Changed section 6.a to provide up-to-date information on deployment order rules. It is now consistent with the Complete Rules.

-Added section 13 with subsections 13.a,13.b, and 13.c, which provide basic information about rune reveals

14. oyo97

oyo97 I need me some PIE!

holy lord give this man a rune (like a limited with his name ;P)

Elves Rule likes this.
  15. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

1-2 RNG with Slam and Dragging Attack, Fascinate and Repulsion.
    4 SPD, Stationary and Bolt. Defensive Strike, Horrific Aura, and Arrow Throw.
    No upgrade lines.
    Done.

In unrelated matters (in the guide) I've been wondering about the whole Batching thing. It may be that what actually happens is that any "death on negative HP checks" are suspended during end-of-turn and beginning-of-turn phases. I'm trying to think whether there is actually any difference, but it would be a bit more succinct to write as a rule. I keep meaning to check the combat log -- if deaths all appear together at the end of the phase rather than each at the end of a "batch" then that would be a good indicator.

16. michael pietrzak

michael pietrzak The King of Potatoes

great post thanks

17. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

18. Lupefi2

Lupefi2 Devotee of the Blood Owl

What if i teleport on top of a stealthed unit?

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Based on my notes, the teleporting unit will still move to occupy that space, and will dislocate the unit onto which it attempts to teleport. I need further testing though, nice find.

20. Lupefi2

Lupefi2 Devotee of the Blood Owl

I've done if before forgot what happens but i believe that somehow there is minor damage involved for the stleahed unit