poxnora is failing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by littlezay, Aug 20, 2017.

1. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

No more movement bug. The solution is here!

Etherielin and MaruXV like this.
  2. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

I don't know why people aren't talking about what was easily the most popular and profitable feature ever in this game which was drafts, weekend tourneys got everyone playing, the rewards were good, the chances were equal as no one could complain about pay 2 win BGs etc. It felt rewarding , was addicting to play and gave people a reason to log on and invest money weekly into the game (draft tokens) why DOG haven't brought it back baffles me . Draft could save this game.

3. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

no idea what the game is like for the last month as i've been too busy to sleep let alone play pox for the last month.

should be free to play again in a week

MaruXV likes this.
  4. Alan

Alan The King of Potatoes

Drafts sound like a lot of fun. I also play Magic The Gathering and draft is my favorite format. It brings a depth of strategy that base games don't inherently have.

5. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

come register to the tournament then!

badgerale and xaznsoulx like this.
  6. kazekage

kazekage The King of Potatoes

Honestly, I'm 27 now and I started playing this game when I was like 15,16. This is the only game that I literally keep going back to like the abused wife in a shitty relationship. (Apologies for picture, I don't condone abuse, just a frame of context)

It really sucks to see this game in its current state, it brought a solid element though niche that many of us have grown to enjoy, these days I just lurk the forums to see if the client is fixed.

2:46am in Toronto, Canada & in here thinking about playing a game of pox before bed to unwind like I used to do and can't even do that, really hope that this client and this game heads in the right direction, so much potential for this game yet some fair points have been made. 2017, the era of mobile gaming is in full swing, hell I've been playing titan falls mobile game, it's actually pretty fun not gonna lie, but as someone stated, this era seems to have passed. Seems most the players are literally names I remember seeing in the chat back when mobi was a common and fw/fs semi-aquatic was a thing. Like Pokemon Go, it's more of a nastalgic situation with this game

It's a actually kinda funny I'm here sitting in the kitchen on my phone typing this, I'm not even an avid gamer or a "nerd" of sorts, yet.. what is a nerd in 2017?

Idk, in anycase. It's really dissapointing that this game...this game.... That we've all been around for, broke keyboards for, damaged monitors for, been late to work for, stayed up playing all night for, told the parents "I'll come to dinner after this game it's literally over, this guy just won't quit" is in this current state.

I'm not going to bad mouth the dev team idk what they got going on or what politics and red tape they need to clear, I just want my game back lol

Disclaimer: no electronics where harmed prior to this being written.

Sidenote: The PS4 version was one giant let down, like having your girl get you all worked up during sexy time to only have her turn over and leave you blue. smh.

Thank you all, for taking the time to read my ramblings. Heres to a better pox. Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    aseryen, Woffleet, Gnomes and 3 others like this.
  7. Drache77

Drache77 King of Protectorate and Great Emperor of Pox Nora

Couldn't agree more

kazekage likes this.
  8. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

@kazekage

- Your tale is similar to mine and many others. I can still spend the hours deckbuilding and trolling forums but that was always the best part of the game... the client at least to serve it's purpose as a glorified chat room...that we occasionally play a mini-game on (pox) ... now I can't even do that...theorycraft with guildies about trash synergy trying to convince each other we are genius's . Focus on client chat and tab convenience @Sokolov imo It's the community that is losing touch with each other...the game is the backdrop

Woffleet and Gnomes like this.
  9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Draft was a money loser actually, because it was broken with every launch and the constant compensation being given out for broken drafts basically meant people were getting free runes every release.

With the SOE transfer, Drafts were completely borked since the way it worked was apparently tied into the SOE systems (which we can no longer connect to), so it'd have to be re-written anyway.

Personally, I'd love to resurrect some form of draft and it's been one of my primary requests ever since I came back, but something else is always considered a higher priority.

10. Axeraiser

Ok well if it was implemented properly, minus the bugs etc which were the money losers it would be very profitable no ? Nothing else would push micro transactions more and keep a steady influx of cash into Pox. I do hope you can push it to be more of a priority after the client gets fixed ( if t gets fixed I suppose at this stage)

11. Sokolov

In theory. Keep in mind that it's much easier to make money on any feature if you have millions of players instead of hundreds.

So let's say it takes 3 months and $90,000 to develop this thing.

Let's assume that 100 players would be willing to pay $25/month into Drafts.

That's $2500/month, or $30,000 a year. This means that assuming no operating costs and continued interest for the entire time, it'd take 3 years to pay for itself before it actually generates any profit.

And that's the conundrum - you can't just keep throwing resources at something without any idea if it'll actually pay for itself.

~

DOG bought PoxNora back, and dumped a lot of time and resources into it to get it up and running. Fixing all the issues with it to get it running in the first place, followed by the revamp (which, whether you agree with it or not, was an investment), Forge system, Quest system, etc. all got added. And now the new client (again, whether you like it or not, it was still an investment).

Contrast this with the continued decline in player base despite all the efforts and you begin to see the problem.

I understand why players are concerned about DOG working on other projects, but the reality is that the alternative is that DOG doesn't even exist. And as a business that wants to keep the doors opened and people employed, they have to expand and get new/different projects. Ideas like "hire more hands" and "get a marketing team" are all nice/feel good, but it's just unrealistic.

The goal is to keep Pox up as long as people are playing it, but there also has to be a DOG to keep it open.

~

So realistically, how does Pox get a draft system again?

For one of DOG's other projects to do well enough that some resources can be re-invested back into Pox.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  12. Axeraiser

Thanks for explaining all that, I suppose the problem from players point of view is that we don't grasp the expense of these things .

If your estimate of the cost it would take to get drafts going again is even remotely close then I guess Pox is essentially never going to 'be great again' as you've said DOG can't continue pumping much resources into a game with a dwindling playerbase. Sad news.

13. Isendel

Isendel The King of Potatoes

I'd like to propose a possible scenario that could help pox to stand up again but first let's analyze why many and many and many players left :

1. Too much expansion and waaay too many runes : Pox was really great at the start with some hundred of runes ( not thousand! )
    2. Nerfs / Buffs These things are ok but I don't get why some runes was "broken" just because some players ( or just one ) cryed on the forum
    3. Fixed runes design : One of the more intersting thing in pox was the possibility to set up/down statistics. It doesn't seem too difficult to re-implement this
    4. Online stores : Personaly, the best thing on pox was the possibility to trade runes with players. I spent "days" following a rune, trying to convince players to trade with me and so. I got scammed and I also took many good deals. There were forum stores with proces and values and so....WOW ( nostalgic ). Online stores destroyed all that ... No more possibility to negotiate, no more possibility to search different points of view. Actually just one single page of trades. And many many runes are not available at all.
    5. Bugs : well ok these can appears but also they can be fixed.

I think the following scenario is possible :

1. Get back as poxnora was before SOE : I think "creating" an old version of pox with not so much runes, nice design of some of them ( ie kartch as it was ), just 1 hero per faction, lowering abilities number and keep some of them just a for a single or some factions. Its not good to see abilities available in every faction : this brokes uniqueness a capabilities of the factions.
    This could make happy old players like me and also could be more attractive for new players that actually are just SCARED of this enourmous number of runes.

This thing, imho, could really help pox to stand up again!

2. Get back the old rune configuration system

3. Avoid automatic trades

So essentially, its like a start again and do things a bit better.

Also you could make pox "open" : why don't you try to open source pox and create a community that could help with development and so?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  14. rathma

rathma Member

honestly drafts can be gamed, i did it with 2 or 3 friends and curse. pack's all have the same rune in the same order, i used to do the same in mtgo. list order and buddy order and you can count how far out they are and plan accordingly, not proud but i was broke

15. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

It's interesting to note various views. The WORST thing for me was number 4. I hate trading and love Pox Box. I see Pox as a tactical fight game,with some army building, not a trading card game.

16. Isendel

Isendel The King of Potatoes

Trading is ( was ) part of poxnora ... Poxnora is a tactigal game ( true ) but was also a collectible cards game. And trust me there were many collectors that just loved arts

17. kazekage

kazekage The King of Potatoes

One thing at a time, ultimately there's one major probably right now. And that's the UI. The client is unplayable.

18. Fentum

One man's meat is another's poison.

19. Sokolov

Mmm poisoned meat.

20. Fentum

Do not be afear'd...

There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip.