Transgender bathrooms

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by super71, Feb 21, 2017.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

So your okay as a parent, having a grown man go in the same bathroom as your little girl ? I'll look into the numbers on pedophilia a bit later. Eventually human nature corrects itself with trans genders, and a lot of people that get the surgeries commit suicide after going from male to female or female to male. You can think your a girl, but eventually it takes a toll as every other part of you is wired to be a boy and that's why a lot of trans commit suicide as they age.

2. super71

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

1. you are not getting the point
    2. the post before the one above is laughable
    3. see below.

Tweek516 likes this.
  4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

they don't want you to know the truth

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

My bad, next time I will not leave out the acusations of WND peddling white nationalism by the southern poverty law centre, I did not want to offend Supes, but hey, down with political correctness right?

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Informative read

ha

haha

ha

Tweek516 likes this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Did you read this yet:

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I didn't want to make it personal (again)

I've made my opinion on that matter quite clear. But you know, convinced about opinions and whatnot.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Yes, I am okay with a person that was born male but feels like a female, regardless of which genitalia are in their pants, going in the same bathroom as my five year old daughter. If there is a nonbiased source that shows that pedophilia rates are significantly higher among transgender people, then I will certainly change my position.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Its amazing to me how Republicans are able to sell their idiocy so well. Their positions are often so absurd, but they can bring it in a wah that still convinces a bunch of people.

11. super71

Do you realize the amount of trauma a child can experience from simply seeing other genitalia at a young age, that alone should make you change your position. What you do or do not consider biased is based on your original point of view, see this is where it gets kinda of silly and opinionated versus fact checking and debating.

12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

no, what sort of trauma can a child experience from seeing an oddly shaped bit of flesh?

Geressen likes this.
  13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I would be interested in reading psychological case studies about children traumatized at the mere sight of genitalia. I have never heard of this before.

As for whether a source is biased or not, I don't rely on my own interpretation to determine bias. I rely on multiple independent ratings.

Geressen likes this.
  14. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Same, I have never heard of this as a phenomena. Case studies would be interesting reads, if provided.

Etherielin and Geressen like this.
  15. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

As things are now, what exactly is stopping pedophiles from entering bathrooms to molest young children? Those little man and woman signs on bathroom doors don't magically keep pedos from going in, do they? Of course not. Allowing transgender individuals to use whatever bathroom they feel like won't have any effect on rates of public child molestation. If a pedophile wants to enter the girls' bathroom to potentially molest a child, they are able to do so as long as no one is watching.

So that brings us to the question of whether rates of pedophilia are higher among transgender individuals. Studies on who commits child sexual abuse vary in their findings, but the most common finding is that the majority of sexual offenders are in fact family members or those otherwise known to the child.

Sexual abuse by strangers is not nearly as common. One of the reasons we hear about it so much more often in the media is because in cases of familial sexual abuse, the names and stories are often kept out of the press to avoid ruining the reputation and lives of those related to the offender.

It's also important to note that the vast majority of mental health professionals agree that pedophilia is a disease and transsexualism is not. None of what makes transsexualism a normal variation of human sexuality applies to pedophilia. A pedophile will be a pedophile; it doesn't matter if they're trans or not.

Etherielin, Xirone, Geressen and 2 others like this.
  16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Also pedophiles don't always target the opposite sex, so they could already be in the same restroom.

MEATMAN, Etherielin, Xirone and 2 others like this.
  17. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Source.

Having a kid be bathed with their parents is neither uncommon nor unnatural, during that time the odds are they will see the parent in the nude. Even if you want to try and argue such behaviour is obscene, I'd like to point out that prior to the rise of civilisation, nudity was the norm. If you want to argue that the default state of humans before this time was 'badly traumatised', then you're going to have to make one hell of a case for how society came to be in spite of that.

I'll admit I didn't read this through to the end, it started repeating itself a lot about halfway through, so I stopped there. There seem to be a few key points it raises.

1) Gender Dysphoria is akin to Anorexia Nervosa

2) The attempted suicide rate amongst Transexuals is horrifyingly high (quoting a figure of 41% from a 2010 study)

3) Childhood abuse is responsible for children being LGBT+ (the article includes Homosexuality as an example)

Let's look at those. If you feel I've missed the main thrust of the article, feel free to point to a discussion point that's not listed above.

1) Gender Dysphoria is akin to Anorexia Nervosa

Let's start by pointing out the fact that Anorexia Nervosa is, very often, a serious medical condition with life-threatening results if left untreated. The afflicted individual often starves themselves to reach an unattainable physical state, leaving themselves with dangerously low levels of fat. The article correctly points out that sufferers frequently perceive themselves as being too fat, which is the driving force behind their self-destruction, and why it's often challenging to treat. When the world is screaming at you that your body has to look this one way, it's nearly impossible to see yourself as being fine as you are.

On the surface, this seems like a perfect comparison to Gender Dysphoria. Strong disassociation between what's perceived and what the person believes they should be? That must be the same thing! But that's kind of where the comparisons stop. Gender Dysphoria isn't life threatening in and of itself. Your own link points to the broader view of sexuality and gender in many Eastern countries, there is not the same pressure on Trans. individuals in these countries. They still struggle with their identity, I imagine, but I'd be willing to bet the suicide rate there is much lower, as is the incidence of violence towards Trans. individuals. But I'll get to those points in a moment.

The point here is that, where allowing an Anorexic individual to indulge their condition frequently leads to extremely poor health, and even death. Allowing a Trans. individual to transition results in greatly improved quality of life. I'm sure you have a few case points ready to show individual regret at transitioning, but that's all they are individual cases. Of course some people regret the changes, they very often involve significant surgery, changes to lifestyle, and it's not unusual for someone experiencing major life changes to wish they'd never begun them. However, as has been pointed out, there is careful psychological vetting ahead of time to try and make sure the individual will not regret the choice. And the factors have been studied extensively (Landén et al., 1998, Lawrence, 2003). Additionally, follow-up studies on individuals undergoing gender reassignment surgery have, in various studies, been found to only ever experience occasional regret at most (Lawrence, 2003, Cuypere et al., 2006), or a regret rate of around 2.2% (Dhejne et al., 2014).

2) The attempted suicide rate amongst Transexuals is horrifyingly high (quoting a figure of 41% from a 2010 study)

The article makes the case that this is due to Gender Dysphoria. The argument here being that an inability to accept how the person was born has lead them to a suicidal state. As I said earlier, the acceptance of Trans. individuals is much greater in Eastern countries, and I would not be surprised if the suicide rate was correspondingly lower. The reason I mention this is because acceptance of a group within society results in a happier group, and therefore reduced mortality within the group. Discrimination and marginalisation are all identified as key factors by a wide variety of studies on the matter (Clements-Noelle et al., 2008, Mustanski and Liu, 2013, and Grossman and D'Augeli, 2007 amongst a host of others).

The article you've linked, then, has this backwards. The suicide rate is due to discrimination against the group lowering their quality of life to a point where they feel life is no longer worth continuing with, rather than being a result of post-transition regret (which, lest we forget, affects approximately 2.2% of those that transition).

3) Childhood abuse is responsible for children being LGBT+ (the article includes Homosexuality as an example)

The article you've linked cites Roberts et al. (2012) as its main (and indeed only) source for childhood abuse resulting in the emergence of LGBT+ behaviours. However, Roberts et al. (2012) explicitly find the opposite. They deliberately note that "studies directly assessing the association between these diverse types of maltreatment and sexuality cannot disentangle the causal direction because the sequencing of maltreatment and emerging sexuality", later noting that "While point estimates suggest much of the association between maltreatment and sexual orientation may be due to the effects of maltreatment on sexual orientation, confidence intervals were wide. Our results suggest that causal relationships driving the association between sexual orientation and childhood abuse may be bidirectional, may differ by type of abuse, and may differ by sex.". This shows that, far from being a predictive factor, the relationship between abuse and emergent sexuality is instead an extremely complicated relationship. In trying to claim that Roberts et al. (2012) points to a causal link, the author of your article is flat out misrepresenting the study. At this point, we have two options. The article writer does not know how to cite sources and this was an honest error where he did not manage to read even the abstract of the study he used as evidence. Or, the article writer has chosen to cherry pick the study to provide an air of legitimacy to a baseless argument. As noted at point 2, LGBT+ youths do very often experience a high degree of abuse. This is not, however, a failing of themselves, but rather a failing of the society around them as they are marginalised. There are plentiful anecdotal stories of LGBT+ youths being ousted from their homes when they come out about who they are. Naturally anecdotes aren't evidence, but Ryan et al. (2010) find that acceptance by family leads to improved mental and physical health in trans. youths.

So while abuse does have a complicated relationship with emergent sexuality, it is not a predictive factor and, when abuse is absent, mental and physical health are significantly better for these individuals.

Etherielin, Xirone, Dagda and 6 others like this.
  18. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I simply cannot believe that this is something that keeps Super up at night.

He either needs to stop of troll, or stop reading whatever websites have twisted his fragile mind enough to think this is somehow an issue worth worrying about.

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

the fact this is a topic is why trump is president.

20. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the best part is that he'll likely never come back to this thread

oh well