Centaur

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Gaedel, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Any news about Centaur changes, such as changing some to 1x1? I haven't noticed any new news.

2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Centaur will probably never be a fleshed out theme.

3. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

Agree@Cydna.

Its pretty apparent they are one of the least favored themes in the KF community. Sok has mentioned more than once that they don't intend for centaurs to be a coherent racial theme.

Also, neither SOE nor DOG has ever converted a 2x2 into a 1v1, even though it is an exceedingly frequent request...*cough Spring Dragon cough*.

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Actually, Statue of Xulos and Morins Corner were 2x2 on release.

5. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

They converted Draksar Chameleon.

6. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Are there any themes the Centaur might be useful? I have seen Bliss used with Creativity in spell decks. I haven't seen any of the other Centaur used, however. I can see Savage being used with good range. Not sure about the others, even Sarnghaian Centaur.

7. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Sarn Centaur has one of my favorite art.

8. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Sarn centaur is great. Basically a cheaper fiorn.

9. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Also weren't some of the Barbarians on horses large, on release, and then smallified later? If memory serves correctly, I think Fist of Bastion and Mounted Hawkmaster were that way....though I could be wrong.

10. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I came back and found that centaur have been completely gutted. They were actually a pretty decent deck before (like draksar-tier), but a lot of cumulative support changes hurt them while there hasn't been anything to compensate.

The +10 nora to RtH would have been reasonable (and necessary) if the theme got some buffs or strong new champions but that hasn't happened. Interceptor got some useful new offensive abilities but he's got defensive stats so he doesn't make any sense yet. Nobody is going to pay 75 nora for a champ who's sole purpose is to zoom in and double tap for 12 damage. Bliss is necessary for her magic damage but she kind of sucks now. Centaurs have 0 support units and had to rely on generic support like battlemaster, but elven strategist also got hit with a nerf so he's not carrying his weight like he used to.

I understand why the devs would want to shy away from cheap powerturn spells but when they are carrying entire themes the end result is that you're killing diversity.

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Because Rally The Herd was cheap and OP and useable in meta? All you need was 2-3 Centaurs and it was worth running.

12. davre

I guess I missed that period of pox, it doesn't refute the entire body of my comment though. I know that was a lot to read so I will summarize it for you:

nerfing a strong powerturn spell in a vacuum: good
    nerfing a strong powerturn spell when an entire theme relies on it and the theme does not receive compensation: bad

13. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

I stand corrected. Now I am curious how difficult it is to change? I was under the impression that it was difficult to change.

Centaur archer is not terrible. He works fine in archers. Savage used to be really good pre-revamp. Not so much these days. His signature ability is actually a liability against a lot of BGs.

14. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I dont think it's "difficult" to change, I may be wrong. The problem is that some sprites are simply too BIG. Look at Cyclops, all of them would look weird and unproportional.

Calling Centaur a theme is pushing it. There aren't even enough champs to make a full BG of only Centaur.

You're kinda sounding like Norathat and Iajab with the whole "Nerf something? Okay well then buff this instead."

15. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

There's been a push to flesh out the centaur theme for a while. It's not really viable and the only thing holding it together is Rally the Herd, but it's there, even if only due to that spell. Ironically one of the best centaurs is in SL. Now if KF could just get a decent split bonus...

16. davre

Centaur is one of my pet themes (or at least I think it is not far away from being a cool theme) and I would say that any subset of runes that are unified by an interaction that is specific to them, such as the effect of Rally the Herd, counts. I am not alone in this, the KF forums have a history of wanting centaur to be more fleshed out.

I can see how you could interpret my stance on RtH as that, but here is some further context from a year and a half ago. My opinion was actually closer to: if you buff centaurs, you will need to nerf rally the herd.

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...nged-bg-is-insane-at-35-nora.4793/#post-65634
    For the record, the OP was after a match against me :p

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/fae-garu-cens.7354/#post-94715
    The second comment was back when they had a design change quota which, thankfully, is gone now. Unfortunately, the current scenario is worse than what I had expected at the time.

I play all factions and would like to think I have an unbiased stance toward faction balance, so I don't appreciate the comparisons.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  17. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I would love for centaurs to be more fleshed out but if that happens Rally the Herd would have to be changed. I say have Rally the Herd get changed to

All Centaurs with a range of one gain Exertion 3, and Trample permanently. All Centaurs with more than one range gain a rank of Sunder and Mobility permanently.

45 Nora

I would like to see Trample implemented somehow. I know this might sound ridiculous but I'm just brainstorming

18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't consider Centaurs to be a theme. And have no specific plans to develop them as a theme. Yes, there is a spell and a bunch of champs with Race: Centaur, but that's really about it.

It might happen someday, but there are not current plans in the works for it.

I have personally turned MANY 2x2s into 1x1s. It has happened a ton.