There is something that hasn't changed that should with this game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengercm, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

Mean

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

they're not affiliated?

apologies then

3. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

Not anymore. Sony sold off SOE last year. They're Daybreak Games now. They always were different from the PS branch anyway.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Sony Corporation is a Japanese electronics company founded in 1946.
    Sony Interactive Studios America (SISA) is an American subsidiary formed within Sony Corporation in 1995, this eventually became 989 Studios and focused on Playstation games.
    A subset of the company, called Redeye Interactive and then later Verant Interactive, was spun off and created EverQuest (way more to this part, but not super relevant).

Eventually, Verant became Sony Online Entertainment with various technical business details in between there. In 2009, SOE purchased Pox Nora, acquiring wholly the Octopi studio in Tucson.

~

So here's the thing with huge companies like Sony who have all these subsidiaries that own subsidiaries. The top entity, "Sony Corp" in this case, doesn't run everything themselves. And "ownership" in most of these cases is largely a matter of financial accounting and legal structures, rather than one of development or business accountability. In fact, most of us who worked at the Tucson studio only met the top guys even at SOE just briefly at social functions, or not at all, and while he technically "ran" SOE and did make some decisions that may have affected PoxNora, he wasn't really responsible for anything specific and was more concerned with their bigger properties that he was trying to get off the ground at the time such as DCUO and Planetside 2. SOE was the computer branch of Sony's US initiatives and basically only interacted with the Playstation side when they were releasing a game on the Playstation (which was rarely). And as for Sony proper? Forget it, they might as well not have existed as far as we were concerned. I know it's tempting to just see all these businesses as one big monolithic beast run by a small group of people, but the reality is they have many subparts and many decision makers within each and "owners" of the subsidiaries largely just care about the balance sheet at the end of the day, and not the individual day to day affairs of their subsidiaries.

In any case, SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America) is the arm that runs all the Playstation stuff here in America. And that's who we are working with to bring PoxNora to PS4. Again, I am not at liberty to discuss the business details, but suffice to say that if they weren't interested in PoxNora, we probably would put the resources elsewhere. It's why they announced us coming to PS4 at E3 - they are trying to build a platform of online, digital games on the Playstation Network and wants PoxNora to be part of it.

~

You can also look at a situation like No Man's Sky. They self-funded development, but Sony/SCEA has marketed the hell out of that game on their behalf - and part of that also means it is a PC/PS4 title, instead of just PC or PC/X-Box.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    PhdNiceGuy likes this.
  5. Dreadloche

Dreadloche The King of Potatoes

Just wanted to drop some thoughts here since there were a few posts about playerbase retention and changes not having the anticipated effect.

I think by far the greatest issue for a new player is overcoming the encyclopedia of effects, abilities, buffs and debuffs to even begin to play pvp matches.

DoG did some work to simplify these, but it is still overwhelming. There are two primary factors contributing to this barrier new players will face: 1) Every champion is customizable. 2) many different modifiers share the same icon and their explanations are nested with more modifiers.

So, you cannot simply memorize a champion and be done with it. You can't say "ok it's that guy, I've seen him before, he does this and that and now I can play around him and go on to read the other champs". You have to click on him, see which path of customization he took, and read up on the new abilities you aren't familiar with.

Then you are faced with seemingly endless abilities. The problem here is that they are nested within themselves like Russian dolls. You can't just see an icon, say "ah okay there's that totally unique symbol, I know exactly what it does". You have to hover over it, read something along the lines of "if X happens to Y, while Z, Q, and W, target Y gains A, B, and C. A: the first D each turn, prevent F. B: For every Z surrounding X, gain Q. C: All W's in play have G. D: Y and Z are no longer P. G: X is no longer affected by B, if X or more B's are in play."

By the time the player finishes reading this his turn has finished.

I think the solutions are simple enough. First off, have the number of the rank of the ability directly on the icon. Regeneration 3? The regeneration icon with the number 3 on it. Second, display other icons in the descriptions of an ability instead of just text. This would at least give the mind some pattern to pick up on, because words become abstractions when they only point to other words defined by even otherer words.

Third, an organization of the abilities/modifiers displayed by their type. Racial, global, combat, passive, etc etc. Instead of just a row of X Q Z J Y B C, for instance, you could have B C | J | Q | X Y Z. Once again, pattern recognition to help the new player begin to know where he is looking, why he is looking, and what he is looking at.

Maybe I will post a new thread with some ideas but I feel implementations like these are essential to keep new players from being overwhelmed and especially on console where a simple interface is required.

bambino, DrakeArron and BurnPyro like this.
  6. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

You did forget one though. "Nerfed every single rune in the game with the revamp!" :D

We love ya Sokobro, just lose that sledge-nerf hammer and get a smaller one! ;)

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

And give the fresh-faced little blighters a deck of their own, pronto. The idea about ranks showed on the ability icon, though visibility could be a problem, is a good one.

@DrakeArron brought it up in a bug forums thread (though it's certainly been talked about plenty) but a serious database of both runes and rules would help a lot. Something like The Gatherer would be a dream, admittedly.

SPiEkY and DrakeArron like this.
  8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

One/two/three little stars on the bottom of the ability icon? Not really on the icon itself, thus not obscuring?

9. Dreadloche

Dreadloche The King of Potatoes

Little stars would work great; a system immediately recognizable from many other games.

A couple ideas so far for organizing the ability icons:

1) simply organize them by type with a colored border around the icons in the exact same way Runes are organized in the rune dock. Does the ability interact with champions? Red border. Spells? Blue border. Relics? Green border. Equipment? Purple border.

So now a new player can say "okay I'm going to cast a spell, let me quickly check his champs to make sure. Oh what's this blue bordered ability- spellswallower? Hmm I don't want that".

2) arrange icons by shapes Other than square. So circles are global, triangles are interactive, squares are passive, etc etc. this can also be combined with colored borders for a very quick-glance way of checking the important ability interactions before making a play. Most importantly, it will help people memorize and internalize exactly what an icon does.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    DrakeArron likes this.
  10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

2 would look horribly garish. 1 might work.